beardie hatchling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neven

Reaction score
hey guys just had one of my beardies hatch :D yay and i thought it was dead but now i just saw it run around yay so rapped.... :D:D:D
any thing i need to do? like any thing special? i got small crickets for it...
but yeh..
nev

Get it under some heat. Small water supply (I prefer something like the red cap from a postal tube for hatchies) and paper-towel substrate is generally best. A few places to hide and maybe something to climb.

Try and feed him in a day or 2.

Congrats nev!!!

Simon Archibald

Also Nev,
Make sure you keep the supplements up in these first months of life. Roughly 2-4 times a week on food. Make sure the crickets aren't too big for him to swallow (otherwise you'll have serious complications with hind legs) and watch him grow!!!

Also, get him out into natural unfiltered sunlight as much as humanly possible (but at least 3 or 4 times a week, 20-30 mins each time). A UV globe is good substitute for extreme cases of 1 or 2 weeks where the weather doesn't allow natural sun exposure, but the real thing is by far better.

Simon Archibald

oh so i betta take that cricket out? lol woops... should i give him lettus or ny thing?
ta guys
nev

I've tried my hatchies on greens before but have had very little luck. It's not really a problem. As they get older (around yearling +) they'll just go for greenery. You could try an appropriately sized dandelion or daisy flower too if the lettuce doesn't work.

Simon Archibald

try bok choy mate gets em going every time... as for supplements juvinile bearded dragon food from rep-cal has all of the necessary vitamins and minerals in it (thats why they call it growth formula i guess)

take care
Matt

Moisten down the one end of the paper towels. This is what I did when I was looking after hatchling beardies for a mate. most dragons dont drink from bowls when they are young, if ever.

Bok Choy was something I was always gonna try but always forgot...I'll have to do that. And I trust your recommendation Stocky :)

Simon Archibald

you wont look back mate .... it is the one thing they are guaranteed to eat every time.... just roughly chop it and moisten with a spray bottle... place it in the cage and watch them go crazy...lol..

Good point Brodes. I also suggest trying to position the water bowl where they will run through it while feeding, or in general activity throughout the day. This provides a good bit of moisture, especially to aid their shedding (which they tend to do all the time while they're growing).

Simon Archibald

also mist them lightly with a spray bottle once a day... works a treat

and when they do get on the crickets if you place them in the water bowl they wont be able to escape the beardies will go in to get them and get water and food at the same time everyone is a winner

Wow! Congratulations Nev! You must be excited! :)

yeh when i thought he was dead i was just about to ask u guys wat to do then looked bak n it was in the water bowl lickin its lips so i assume it drank some :D which is a good sign for a like 3min old beardy lol... yeh i might need to get some more of that growth formula off ya too stockeh runnin a bit low..
nev

not a prob mate postage doesnt vary on the order if i add that for ya... you are just looking at an extra $12 for the juvi bearded food (growth formula)

Hey nev
Congrats on the new born! Hopefully it will apply to me in a while. I am just about to pick up some young bearded dragons but i dont know what size crickets to feed them on? Do you know?

Regards Ether

Just on that point Nev, my vet told me that if I have an animal die and I'd like him to do an autopsy, hold it by the head and dip it in dishwashing liquid. Then place it in a chinese (or appropriate) container in the fridge. This will keep it good for a week so the results will still be accurate.

Of course, this is only necessary if you can't make it to the vet on the same day.

Simon Archibald

ether said:
what size crickets to feed them on? Do you know?

You'll only know when you get the dragons ether. If the cricket is a good size but you're just not quite sure if your lizard can take it, best not to feed it. If you're going to feed it anyway, make sure you snap off the back legs - these are the ones that do all the kicking and scratching to the inside of the lizard's mouth on the way to the stomach.

Simon Archibald

Thanks for the advice simon. Yeh will do Jimmy i should be picking them up either this weekend or the next.

Regards Ether

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back