Beardie setup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msbeesley

Reaction score
I am in the process of setting up a 3 foot tank to house two 8 week old eastern bearded dragons and have a few questions. I already have a heat pad but need to buy a basking light and uv. The tank is only 1 foot deep and 1 foot high so I was wondering if a mercury vapor light would be too hot. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. also will I need two thermostats one for the heat pad and one for the basking light.

What floor temp do I set the heat pad at? And I have hear you have to be careful not to burn your lizard but what surface temp will cause burns.
Thanks

I am in the process of setting up a 3 foot tank to house two 8 week old eastern bearded dragons and have a few questions. I already have a heat pad but need to buy a basking light and uv. The tank is only 1 foot deep and 1 foot high so I was wondering if a mercury vapor light would be too hot. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. also will I need two thermostats one for the heat pad and one for the basking light.

What floor temp do I set the heat pad at? And I have hear you have to be careful not to burn your lizard but what surface temp will cause burns.
Thanks

How come you have a heat pad and a basking light? Where abouts do you live (does it get cold at night?)

I live in the Wollongong area. someone I know uses a heat mat with no thermostat and a uv fluro. I have been reading up and was thinking a basking light would be better but I already bought a heat mat so I thought I might as well incarporate it into the set up.

is there a general rule say if the surface temp is under 40 you wont burn you reptile or does it depend on factors like how long they're exposed ect

Hi
I would still like to know if anyone can help me, I bought a 30w heat mat and even with a gap of about 1 inch between the mat and the tank and half and inch of sand the sand reaches 37 is this too hot?

For a bearded dragon, you need 35-40C. My dragon refuses to eat unless the temperature is 39-40C.

thanks mate,
I just wasn't sure if you could burn their belly, I will stop stressing, they look happier when the heat mat is on.

Hello,
Great questions. I have just set up a 3ft tank for my pygmy beardies.
You have the following to sort out as I see it.
1/ A UV is a must for Beardies kept inside.
2/ I would be worried about using the lamp you have - an ordinary reflector would be fine. As your tank is only one foot high this would still give a basking spot on a rock over 40C even with a 60W standard bulb.
3/I think your sand temp is a little too high myself - the basking lamp will heat the sand beyond 40C. If you can get a thermostat later do so [as recommended by most heat mat manufacturers and set it at 36-38c so when the lamp heats up the mat will switch off.
hope this is not confusing and helps out.
Steven.

very helpful sydneytradingco, thank you
I have a 3 foot uv light and a 65w basking light. the heat mat warms the floor under 40 at the hot end so I think I've got it sorted now. Thanks everyone for the feed back. My new beardys are very active and feeding well on crickets, I'm going to have to start buying them in bulk. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back