Beardy dramas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just so glad that Petunia wasn't the one who got the fracture - with the beginnings of MBD that would have been an even bigger disaster.. To a certain extent though I am glad that the vets were given a reason to x-ray (Cornelius's fractured elbow) because without that I would never have known about Petunia's bone density issues..

The mvb has a UV-A output of 400 and UV-B output of 50 at 30cm.. From what I was told that fits in with what I need, definatley better than the other options I was looking at as well.

i'd get them int he range of around 150. its optimum, 50 is around the reptisun as a similar length i beleive.. anyway the results are above.. .lol :D

And after reading through the nutrition page, I am wondering why I didn't think of giving my beardies dandelion. I have it planted in my herb garden and love eating it myself.. I feel like a bit of a fool here

We use Sandoz Calcium Syrup with frogs that haven't been raised right. (Either no u.v or no calcium or both!)

you eat it yourself? i didnt realise it was that.. 'yummy'?

its VERYgood for them.. i save the weeds fromt he garden and pot them.. lol

I use dandelion in salads instead of lettuce.. You can actually get a larger form than the normal garden variety and thats what I have in my garden :) I'm a vegetarian so I have all sorts of weird stuff that other people think is odd

oh and it can actually be used as a herbal caffeine substitute because of its energy boosting abilities

Well, Petunia is on the mend from her bacterial infection, and it is getting really difficult to dose her up on antibiotics. Before it was easy because he had a slightly blocked nose so she would open her mouth every now and then to take a deeper breath than what she was getting and that was when I was able to treat her (obviously I wasn't putting the drop in WHILE she was inhaling, I made sure it was carefully timed for when she exhaled).. But basically, has anyone got any pointers for gettin her mouth open to put her tiny drop of medicine in there? I think she is getting just as frustrated as I am so if theres an easy way that I'm not aware of it would definately help both me and her out alot :)

And Cornelius is looking happier as well :)

shes and adult right? meh just grab her hold her secure and use any flat blunt but hard instrument. there are some cool specifically designed mouth openers, but meh use a credit card or what is really good for the bigger ones and i reccommned greatly as it is also less likely to cause any damage, is a .....gotta find that actual name for it,......googling.....silicone spatula!. hahah i jsut call it whipping thingo. but yes they work pretty dam well for prying their little mouths open. or you can just manually get the syringe in her mouth which is what i would usually do, with a lizard or a small snake. but yeah hahah i wouldnt be waiting around for her to open her mouth. just remember to be firm ( and that this is helping her and needs to be done), a lot of people think they are hurting their animal because it squirms a bit, and will release it or loosen their grip this can cause more damage especially if a procedure is being performed at the time but i guess i shoudl mentin that if you havnt been trained on how to restrain them properly their would be a good chance that you may actually be hurting them. so yes hmm thats one to think upon. but yes keep us up to date sounds like shes doing well.

:lol:

cheers
H

rather than hinging their jaws open with a hard object, which with calcium deficiencies and weak bones could breakt he jaw or even damage teeth, slide the needleless syringe into the corner of her mouth and gently pull down her bottom lip, slowely inject and she should lick it up.

they have been known to bite off the ends of the syringes, so a plastic spoonworks well, or you could try mixing it with chicken baby food or apple sauce, and putting it on her nose, she should lick it up.

put her meds in some yummy fruity baby food, using a plastic syringe put a drop on her nose and gently press ur finger nail between her lips so she can taste it. she should start licking it up without a prob. :)

I've had a fair amount of experience medicating other animals (with wormers vitamin supps etc).. so restraining her while im medicating her isn't a prob..its just getting her little mouth open because shes just a stubborn lil lady :)

And yep she is an adult, but being a western beardy she is tiny - her jaw would only be about 1 inch wide at best and thats only across the back of her jaw.. this makes sliding a syringe into the corner of her mouth rather awkward! So its basically been a case of holding onto her and being persistant until she accepts that it needs to be done. She's getting used to the routine now of me getting home from work, getting her out so she can run around on my shoulders for a while, and then medicating so it is starting to be a slightly faster process..

I am definately liking the baby food idea though and I think that is definately going to make things alot easier and nicer for both of us :) Awesome idea

Thanks guys :)

Hi all, I've nearly completed a tank for my first beardie and am waiting for a lamp to arrive, does anyone know of an online supplier that sells Powersum or T-Rex mercury vapour bulbs, or a shop in Sou east QLD?

Can only find Oz Bright and I haven't read seen a lot of good feedback about them.

get in touch with animalattraction.com.au and get a mega-ray off of them. they're the best UVB source in the world. then T-rex, then reptisun 10.0 then 8.0 and the rest arent suitable. dont even mention the NEC 10 black lights.. geeze, they put out the BARE minimum UVB on the surface of the bulb, and the less at 3 inches, and gone by any more.. not worth the money or the MBD

i always wondered about teh nec 10 lights, so many people seem to use them cos theyre cheap and i just couldnt see them being as good as the reptiglo ones. thanks fro confirming that, i'm glad i stuck with what i know. :)

acording to tests NEC 10 is one of the best uv bulbs available in aus

http://www.reptilesdownunder.com/reptile/enclosure/uvlightingtestsa.php

no it is not, the tests are against cheap ESU compacts and 5.0's.. the NEC 10 used in that survey i beleive would be a one off freak bulb as the making of them is not as acurite and designs as tight as other 'reptile' bulbs.

that research in the link you gaves says it itself. it does NOT allow anything close to the natural sun. it shows 'similar' on that particular bulb on the bulbs surface. it quickely depletes by 3 inches. on any bulb you should not have your dragon within 6 inches, because of UVC output.

when up against a good source of UVB such as a reptisun 10.0 or 8.0 the NEC 10 is shadowed as it should be. it is NOT reptile grade, and NO uvc tests have been made. the results are clear, unless you have your dragon smushed up against the tubes face, you are not giving the dragon enough. you shouldnt have it this close for UVC reasons, expecially because no tests have been made and it is not reptile specific or for upclose human use. the produces are allowed to emit UVC and dont have to put int he extra money to manufacture one that doesnt.

especially being a dim globe, this increases problems with UVC output and danger to the dragons eyes and nerves.

its is NOT suitable or put out nearly enough as everyone seems to think. the results are clear.

i say quite deminishing your animals health because you dont want to dig out a few extra dollars. for $18 you can order a reptisun 10.0 from the US and get it delivered. its not that hard.

wow, 18 bucks,..!! i just paid 50 for one!!!

Kirby do you have any links of comparison charts for the reptile-specific tubes? I'd be interested in taking a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back