Beardy dramas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i use reptisun 10 for my reps and the back uvb output is the same as recorded with that nec bulb at 12". to say that that bulb was a one off, is possible but a little unlikely. and in regards to gettting near what the sun produces i doubt their is a product around that even comes close. but it is enough within 30 cms. but who i would liek to hear from is somone who has only used nec 10 for lizards, especially baby beardies, within 30 cms. to see if they had any issues.

um sorry to say but uv lights alone wont give them the needed calcium they require,certainly will benifet them but yeah definatly wont matter if its at the basking end of the cage,your girl would still be lacking there id say,u need to add calcium supplementation to there food,letting them outside is also a good idea,as the sun is way better than any uv light,but calcium uptake for indoor reptiles needs alot of things,uv lighting alone cant do it ,there is alot of things together that your animals need,diet is a biggy,if u supplement there diet,and choose the right foods,u dont even need uv lights,my suggestion is use the light still,but look to help out in other ways

visit http://www.uvguide.co.uk/

they've got LOADS of articles on the dangers or compacts, UVc, tests on tubes, MVB's etc..

from http://www.reptiledirect.com/ you can get reptisuns for around $18 i think, buy in bulk and for up to 10 kg's i think the delivery is only $30 saves in the long run..

helikaon. the results are there.. look up on uv guides.. the megaray is the BEST in the world, and comes the closest by far to natural sunlight. NEC 10's arent at all as good as reptisuns. again, unless you held your beardie ont he surface of the tub all day lol. we can arguye about this all day. the results are there and on other guides, research and links. its NOT reptile specific, and is most probably releasing UVC, and becuase its dim risking eye damage and photo-kerato-conjunctivitis.

Helikaon, I agree with you on a couple of points.

I think it's highly unlikely that the NEC T10 tube used in that test was a "freak" or a "one-off".

I also think that no UV tube, no matter how 'good', is not going to come anywhere near to being as good as natural sunlight.

As for people raising baby beardies on the NEC T10, I think Bex from Twingums Reptiles uses NEC T10's in her enclosures - it is the tube she recommends in her care sheet.

I'm not sure why a tube has to be reptile-specific in order to be considered worthy of using. There are plenty of $40 reptile heat globes out there, but I certainly don't use them. A $3 Philips SpotOne from Bunnings does the job just as well, at less than 10% of the price.

um sorry to say but uv lights alone wont give them the needed calcium they require,certainly will benifet them but yeah definatly wont matter if its at the basking end of the cage,your girl would still be lacking there id say,u need to add calcium supplementation to there food,letting them outside is also a good idea,as the sun is way better than any uv light,but calcium uptake for indoor reptiles needs alot of things,uv lighting alone cant do it ,there is alot of things together that your animals need,diet is a biggy,if u supplement there diet,and choose the right foods,u dont even need uv lights,my suggestion is use the light still,but look to help out in other ways

richard this isnt about calcium its about UVB and optimumely vitamin D3 synthesis, and which bulb does an adequet or beneficial job. all tubes need adequet calcium with D3 supplimentation, as the diet doesnt fulfill this naturally.

as for not needing UV lights, if you keep your dragons outside, or give natural sunlight a few hours daily.. i would agree, but pure D3 supplimentation in replacement of UVB via tube or sunlight is a whole other story.. not necessarily what this conversation is about..

Helikaon, I agree with you on a couple of points.

I think it's highly unlikely that the NEC T10 tube used in that test was a "freak" or a "one-off".

I also think that no UV tube, no matter how 'good', is not going to come anywhere near to being as good as natural sunlight.

As for people raising baby beardies on the NEC T10, I think Bex from Twingums Reptiles uses NEC T10's in her enclosures - it is the tube she recommends in her care sheet.

I'm not sure why a tube has to be reptile-specific in order to be considered worthy of using. There are plenty of $40 reptile heat globes out there, but I certainly don't use them. A $3 Philips SpotOne from Bunnings does the job just as well, at less than 10% of the price.

miss B, even if it was a one off. the bubl does not put out enough, the reason a reptile specific one is better, is becuase it deters from UVC wavelengths which are damaging and a non-reptile specific one, doesnt have to worry about tight wavelengths and needing to deter from UVC output.

the bulb does not put out adequet amounts, full stop, many sites have tested and displayed this. a spotONE from bunnigns puts out even less.. as for twingums using the NEC 10. i wouldnt be suprised. its cheaper and easier, and they dont need to worry about the hatchlings health later in life necessarily. DIACHU doesnt use UB on all their hatchlings, it just shows disregard for facts and research and the animals health..

The SpotOne from Bunnings is just a heat globe, not UV.

Kirby said:
as for twingums using the NEC 10. i wouldnt be suprised. its cheaper and easier, and they dont need to worry about the hatchlings health later in life necessarily.

:shock: Not a very nice thing to say! If you went back and read through all of Bex threads, you wouldn't even think about saying something like that.

i was talking about large breeders such as diachu. i know bex loves her dragons. ive spoken to her very extensively a while back.

but i think price is a very important role in the choice of nec 10. nothing against you miss B. ;)

Kirby said:
but i think price is a very important role in the choice of nec 10. nothing against you miss B. ;)

That's ok, I don't use the NEC T10 :lol: I'm using Repti-Glo tubes.

But my point is that it's not at all fair to compare Bex to puppy-mill style breeders like Dachiu.

So a NEC T10 is probably not giving enough uv?

Are repti-glo's different to reptisun? I was thinking of getting a reptiglo 10.0 for my other enclosure..but i thought NEC T10 were good?

a repti-glo is very similar to a repti-sun. both put glo and sun put out enough UVB. the 10.0 is fine.

the tests show in both links given, they (NEC 10) do not put out enough at a safe distance. and reptisun/glo 10.0 will put out enough at 6-8 inches.

get a tube over compact, compacts are a waste of money. dangerous amounts of UVB and possibly UVC, and only last aprox 2 months..

So ill be best getting a reptiglo 10.0, theres 2, one says UVB on the front and one doesnt..which is better?

Is the Repti-Glo 8.0 better than the 10.0? I heard some people were reporting eye problems with the 10.0?

that was the compacts i beleive miss B. people prefer the 8.0 glo. because it has been tested. im not sure if the new 10.0 glo has. uv guide may have been updated since it first came out.

Drache was collecting reveiws of the 10.0 i beleive (not sure on glo or sun. but i dont think its a problem with the tubes, more compact) an enclosures SHOULD be bright, which would stop the problem with tubes

anyway brigo exo terra 'repti-glo/sun 10.0 UVB' or 8.0 (i'd say go 10.0)

Ahh ok, no worries. I'm using the Exo-Terra Repti-Glo 10.0 tubes in my enclosures at the moment.

cool, so what are the actual problems with an NEC T10 tube?

Also with reptiglo, the tube would sit about 8inches from basking spots, but about 30-40cm from the floor, is that fine?

Also, when theyre adults, is the distance the same with the tubes?

Thanks.

cool, so what are the actual problems with an NEC T10 tube?

Also with reptiglo, the tube would sit about 8inches from basking spots, but about 30-40cm from the floor, is that fine?

Also, when theyre adults, is the distance the same with the tubes?

Thanks.

it doesnt put out enough UVB, and could be letting out UVC...

yes thats fine :) is there another branch they can get close to it on a cooler spot?

yes, same with adults.. ;)

Whoa :shock: I just checked with my partner and apparently we paid $43 each for those Repti-Glo 10.0 tubes.

(typical woman, I don't look at the price tag - I just whip out the credit card :lol:)

Yeah the branches are all same height in cool & hot end, so either way they can reach around 8inches from there.

If theyre on the ground, theyre about 30cm, but they almost spend all their time on branches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back