Beardy Pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We were given the two adults as 4 year olds last year, so we don't know anything about their past, only that they were brought from the same guy, from the same season of breeding so they are possible siblings. We didn't intentioally breed them and after a few month of having them we found she was gravid.
Monis
They are still very nice dragons and you should be happy with them regardless of what they are.

They are still very nice dragons and you should be happy with them regardless of what they are.

Oh Yes! My whole family loves our Lizards to Death. We are not to concered about what our lizards are, we just trusted what the last family had them recorded into their reptile book as and i guess they trusted the guy they got them off.
Monis

I personally agree with dixilizards. I keep Pogona barbata aswell as find them in the large numbers in summer and can tell you that yours most definitely are Pogona vitticeps.

Some way of identifying the two species are like dixilizards said: yellow gum/ mouthline in P.barbata whereas in P.vitticeps these are pink, slimlined body (they don't hold the weight for nearly as long as P.vitticeps) and apparently scale formation and pattern along the tail is different also. The spikes along the flanks also seem to be in abundance and not in any particular order, I have seen many P.vitticeps with a more 'arranged spike structure' along their flanks and the spikes also seem to be a little more pronounced .

first_time_owner, Bearded Dragon 'spikes' aren't hard or painful to the touch, they are soft and 'bendy'. Although, they can prick you a little if the bearded dragon has inflated the beard and flanks.

These do not look like eastern beardies,
I think you will find that they are central beardies just so you know.
Here is a picture of an eastern beardy for those that clicked on this link hoping to see an eastern beardy.
Eastern Bearded Dragons are characterised by the way their beards flares out and the inside of their mouths is yellow,they also have a slimmer body shape and a difference in scale patterning.

I can see where you guys are coming from, but to be fair its being based on 7 pictures of the Adults, none of which show the Bearded Dragons Beard Flaring up and the picture with her mouth open is to dark to determine the colour of the inner mouth (which is a pale shade of yellow). As i said comparing my Cousins central to my ones there is a distinct difference in the pattern and colour.

I agree dixilizards & Becs. Maybe they are easterns x centrals?

I wouldn't think so as most hybrids are incable of breeding and ours bred last season.

Thank for all your opinions :), i'll ask my Vet next time i see him.
Monis

I don't think a vitticeps x barbata would be incapable of breeding, i'm not 100% sure on this but I think the German giants commonly seen in the U.S are hybrids & they are bred regularly.

Not sure what a german giant is but i'll trust you on this one.
As i said i have no idea about their past so i wouldn't know.
Monis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back