beardy sleeping on here back

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Chris1 what humidity % would be considered too low???? If anything my enclosure may get a little too warm but like PhilK said anything up to 45 I think would be acceptable. MIne certainly has been frolicking around in temps around that mark.

My lowest humidity would have been around 22-24%.

Oh and it is pooping everyday, sometimes twice a day. Im pretty happy with that.

ideally humidity should be between 40 and 60%, the places where people were having probs was in arizona (i read this on a US forum) where the humidity was 0%.

some gave the dragons a bath, put a drop of oil in their ears and the problem was fixed, others misted the tank a bit daily to raise humidity.

it has something to do with the ear membrane drying out, i doubt 1 or 2 days of low humidity would cause that,....

Hmmmm mine starts out around 40-50% but when I get home it is around 20-25%. Too low??? So what would anyone suggest to keep it more humid?? Leave another water dish in and around the enclosure. Misting won't help, as its only going to be a matter of time before it dries.

Any help welcome. Funnily enough my beardie is not showing any signs of problems.

Oh and on the thermometer / hygrometer I have a cable with the little thing on the end which measures humidity. Where exactly should that "little thing" be placed??????

Cheers and thanks.

if its not showing any probs, dont worry about it.

thats the 'ideal', which it is fro part of thie day anyway,... if ur beardies shedding fine and not having any probs, i wouldnt mess with it,...too high can cause respritory infections so unless u notice problems leave it. :)

Beardie's don't like to be upside down, either it's a freak of nature or it's very sick. I reckon the min temp is to high as well, 25 would be safer

I think she is a freak she is watching me at the moment on here back.
I will take a pick over the next day and post it here ,could some one pm me and tell me how to post a pick

also possible ear infection, will cause them to loose balance.

Good thinking Jason :)
I think you should get it to an experienced vet asap, its obviously a balance issue but as for the cause of it, personally I would leave that up to a vet to diagnose.

I stick by my suggestion of dropping the temps a bit. Noones arguing that beardies can and usually do handle higher temps, just because they can doesn't mean lowering them won't help when dealing with this sick beardie, something as easy as dropping the temps a few degrees may well help this animal on the road to recovery. The temperature may not be the CAUSE, but varying it may well speed RECOVERY since they are on the warmer side of what most keep their beardies at. So instead of ignoring it because they have been happy at that temperature, why not humour us and give it a go hey? Your beardie might just thank you. :) A few degrees lower won't hurt.

I hate to be blunt, but you have asked if your beardie is sick and a lot of people here have said they dont know and its best to take it to the vet......however your now asking someone to help post a pic as if its some novelty we would all like to see.
For christs sake your beardie could be in pain yet you just want to post a pic..........
Take it to a vet or at least take a poo sample and ask the vet whilst your there what could be wrong.......or maybe even phone a vet and ask them straight up.
Who woulda thought!

Earthling mate, it seems to be pretty common for people to come on here and ask advice on sick animals, and ignore any suggestions we make. Some seem to be waiting for the advice they WANT to hear and ignore anything else. You have to wonder why we bother don't you......

Hang on a tic, Bylo is on the scene. He should know how worried to be, or not to be. It's not his first beardie and he doesn't sound like a complete fool. I think he would have a sense whether she is in great pain or not. People get to know their particular animals, and the little snippets of body language they display when they are happy, grumpy, sleepy, in pain, etc. I do not think anyone would deny this.

She is still eating, something which not many animals do if they are in pain. He doesn't sound like he is frantically worried that she will die overnight. Coming onto a herp forum, presenting the symptoms then giving due consideration to the answers he receives is a very sensible first course of action in my opinion.

Bylo, it sure sounds puzzling and I'd be keen to know what you find out, if anything. All I can offer is... sometimes they just do the darndest things! :D

Well said GreenWillow,
There's no need to get gnarky when people don't follow your advice straight away as they may be taking other things that we do not know about into consideration.
Also posting a picture is not a bad idea as one persons perception and wording of something may be different to the visual reality and how other people would view it.

I posted a picture of my geckoes tails one time and someone told me it was gangrene for sure, it turns out it was just it's regular tail growing back just fine, and my gecko is doing great. The joy of a forum is advice and opinion can be obtained and then taken with discretion.

Thank you

I have had reptiles for lots of years and I would not allow my reptiles to suffer any pain.
thank you greenwillow for understanding my post and all the others with helpful responses,I have had my beardy checked by a vet and he said I was doing every thing possible that I should be doing.
my vet said if she was in pain she would not eat and all symptoms lead to a type of ear infection.
by the way all the smarties that posted in this thread should bugger off as I was trying to work out with my vet what was going on and thought that if some one saw my beardy they may have been able to give me some leads to my beardies problem.

she is still sleeping on here back but slightly improving.
but I have 1 more question.
she is eating but not passing, I think she may be bound up as well.
I have here in the sick bay on news paper to monitor every movement.
is there any remedies to help here pass what ever bound up in here insides (probably sand).

Im afraid I wont Bugger off.

I dont know you and from what you had posted in this thread I surmised that my response was appropriate. Unfortunately after extra information posted from you it was not appropriate. Such is life.

If its impacted surely the vet your working with will advise you how to fix yeah?
Enemas and laxatives may work, but realistically should only be administered by a vet. Unless the ol warm baths fix it, whilst gently massaging the belly, which you could do in the meantime till monday.
Goodluck.

My vet is only good for farm animals and i am a couple of hundred KM from a good vet , which i cant see to next wed .
i have been keeping a good eye on here and she is making slow progress.
this may sound silly but how would a little caster oil on a couple of crix go

I have heard a few drops of vegie oil is meant to help.Before bathing would be good. Not sure how much though. Have you got a ummmm...forgotten the word.......those tubes you attatch to a syringe to administer worm gel and the like down their throat? (crop tube maybe?) That would be a better way as if shes impacted, as I would imagine you wouldnt want to throw too much down her guts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back