Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a pair of them in my mums front yard doing the hebrew thing last year. The male wouldn't let me get too close but the female was with me being there. The male was the biggest BD I have seen!!!

Are'nt they a bit big for barbata?? I thought barbata were maximum total length of about 20 - 25cm??

Nah mate, there are a couple different sp. out west that small, but barbata are up there with vitties in size.

Very cool! You guys are SOOooo lucky!

One thing though - I didn't know lizards were into circumcision! Go figure, eh?

Are'nt they a bit big for barbata?? I thought barbata were maximum total length of about 20 - 25cm??

Total length?? They average much more than that. There are different races of both vitticeps and barbata which are large and small, but i don't think any barbata populations average less than 20cm in total length. Maybe someone knows differently, fess up if you do :)

What are the small ones then? i have seen them, but i am confused as to what they are named. Could it be the henrylawsoni that i am thinking of?

Pogona Henrylawsonii are such cute little things full of fat and character! They're a little bit bigger than the size of my vitticep's head. :D

i saved anougher today on the way home it was on the road just over a crest ,it would have been ran over by the first car over the top ,stopped and got it off the road ,this 1 would have been at least 50 cm

What a great find! I'm so glad you got pictures. Healthy looking too.
I've emailed with a pretty well known herper about the Pogona species. And he is a very helpful gentleman.

Apparently the Barbata and the Centralian have a large size range - More so the Pogona barbata. They can be identified according to location. The larger species of Barbata (found North east coastal region Qld,NSW) can be the result of food gluts in early development, and in the smaller (found around Adelaide SA ) the lack of food. That's the theory.

Pogona barbata Bearded Dragon
Pogona brevis (rankini) Black Soil Bearded Dragon
Pogona microlepidota- Kimberly Bearded Dragon
Pogona minima - Western Bearded Dragon
Pogona mitchelli Dragon
Pogona nullarbor Nullabor Bearded Dragon
Pogona vitticeps Inland Bearded Dragon
Pogona minor - Dwarf Bearded Dragon - This is the 1 we have Sherman! You met her. Both she and her late mate grew to 30 cms full adult size.

Em :)

I had to show you mine

:)

I had to show you my babies !!

(Pogona vitticeps)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back