Best basking temp for baby beardie?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzajay77

Reaction score
What temp should the hot end of my enclosure be for my 4 week old beardie. I have a 75w incandescant globe in there and depending on the temp in the garage sits around 40deg on a normal day and creeps up to 45deg on a hot day....

I've heard of ppl letting their tanks get up to over 50deg and then say, well they're from the desert :shock:

my babies are at 38-45c..

I've got 100w ceramic heat lamps, 30degrees during the day and 20-24degrees during the night.
And that all depends on how hot or cold it is outside.

ohhhhh ..i didnt think it was as hot as that.. I will have to get a heat mat. How small is the smallest mat u can get?

I have my hatchies in a small plastic reptile enclosure for now...is it ok to heat the entire area ?

i'm pretty sure they like to be able to get away from the heat if it gets too hot so heating the whole area might not be a good idea if it's going be up around 40 deg. my guy swaps from being right under the heat to away from it when he's a bit hot so yeah ..

ok thanks...
So whats the smallest heat mat or rock i can use for them... Im so worried Im going to make mistakes.. lol

i'm pretty sure they like to be able to get away from the heat if it gets too hot so heating the whole area might not be a good idea if it's going be up around 40 deg. my guy swaps from being right under the heat to away from it when he's a bit hot so yeah ..

I would advise against a heat mat benashki, they can be a bit dangerous.
Beardeds absorb heat through the tops of their heads, therefore heatmats don't do a whole lot of good.

You can have the temp at 40degrees provided they can get away from it like azzajay said. I would'nt raise the temp any higher than 40degrees, some people will tell you differently though.

They need a basking point that should be no lower than 30degrees during the day, and at the opposite end of the tank they need to be able to escape the heat should they choose to.

I've got 100w ceramic heat lamps, 30degrees during the day and 20-24degrees during the night.
And that all depends on how hot or cold it is outside.

yer im with u i keep my babie bearded dragons at 30-35c and night about 22-26

i wouldnt use a heat rock sometimes they can burn on it they cant feel the heat on there stomech that good

Beardies basking temp should be hotter then 35 IMO. isn't there PBT around 37c? If my beardies temps are lower then 38 they get lethargic.. boost there temp and they go mental.. So thats why I keep it high..

the temp is now (since turning off uv) 28ish... I cant seem to get it up past 30 though.
Im using a small enclosure ,a plastic repti cage ,so its not big at all.

I will have to re assess the set up i think.. hmm:(

Beardies basking temp should be hotter then 35 IMO. isn't there PBT around 37c? If my beardies temps are lower then 38 they get lethargic.. boost there temp and they go mental.. So thats why I keep it high..

I think alot of it depends on how large the enclosures are, wattage and how far away from the heat lamp they are.

Mine are all very content with 30degrees, grinning regularly to release heat : D

Last edited:
the temp is now (since turning off uv) 28ish... I cant seem to get it up past 30 though.
Im using a small enclosure ,a plastic repti cage ,so its not big at all.

I will have to re assess the set up i think.. hmm:(

Go buy a 50L tub from a cheap shop.. Get clamp lamp with basking bulb, and put your uvb over the top of that, I use newspaper as substate and cut half a pipe for a cool end hide.. And I have a small dish for water, hot end I have two bricks with slate tile for a basking spot. The hatchies have a stick/wooden coathanger (without the metal hook) to access it.. I have one 50watt in one tub which gets it to 39c and 43c hot days and I use a 100watt in another and it reaches 40c on decent days and upto 45c in hot days (since the slate tile is large they can pick anywhere from 38c-45c basking spot which is good, they normally will go to the hottest 43-45c after they eat then back to 38-40c after they have digested) If I'm thinking what you have it in then thats
WAY to small.

aw that's a cute pic. mine grins like that every so often too.

here's my enclosure. you can't really see him he's on the log on the back wall about half way between the hot end and the cool end.

spends most of his time there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back