Best basking temp for baby beardie?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
can't see the pic for some reason. i only have one but would love another. from what i've heard though i wouldn't get another one unless i could organise another enclosure. so not worth it. i like all their toes :p

whatever my hot end is the cool end is only around 10 degrees less so if the hot end is 45 the cool end is still around 33 which is know is a bit high but i don't know how to get it down without drilling a heap of holes in the tank and putting in more vents.

in saying that i doubt that would fix it being that my garage stays warm on a hot day also. he seems happy though so i'll work with what i have.

If you can put your bulb closer it can reduce it from heating the cool end.. What heating bulb are you using? "Tightbeam" bulbs are supposed to focus the heat on one spot while other bulbs heat a whole area (I don't know if thats true but I use tightbeams and it seems to heat the area where its point at)

i don't cover mine. if he jumped he could get to it but i haven't seen him try. believe me they can jump too ..!!!!!

yeah. I have to have low climbing branches/rocks etc so they can't jump to get to the bulb.. It's a good 6-7inches away from the highest point so really isn't a worry about them getting there.. I'd have it and the uvb tube higher but tubes are best to be 6-8inches from them for more exposure.. (Thats what some people say... I don't know if its true but I'm not going to experiment with it :))

Haha i have the same problem, they can't reach the lamps, i have made sure of that.
But they get new enclosures in a few weeks anyways, i'm having a custom one built so i've asked him to make the enclosures are higher for that reason.

And those cage contraptions they use to cover the lamps scare me, i know they are good for snakes but i'd be worriedmy dragons would jump on the cages and stay there untill their little bellies were too hot.

Haha i have the same problem, they can't reach the lamps, i have made sure of that.
But they get new enclosures in a few weeks anyways, i'm having a custom one built so i've asked him to make the enclosures higher for that reason.

And those cage contraptions they use to cover the lamps scare me, i know they are good for snakes but i'd be worriedmy dragons would jump on the cages and stay there untill their little bellies were too hot.

Congrats, My adult tanks are 4x2x2.. I use MVB (changing over) so they are nearly 15inches away from the bulb (and from that height there basking spot still gets around 40c...) I'll have to make there platforms bigger once I change over to tubes so I'll have to figure something out.. But I've never had any try to get at a bulb yet..

But they get new enclosures in a few weeks anyways, i'm having a custom one built so i've asked him to make the enclosures are higher for that reason.

OH NO... now u scared me.. i have a wire thing round mine!!
right..into the rats breeding tubs tomorrow! Im changing everything,

Can i use sticks from my local trees or should i buy somethng

The one branch I use for one tub to access there basking spot is a gum tree branch that broke off from the back of my house... I put it in boiling water for 20mins then put it in the sun to dry... Never had no problems with it.. It just depends what type cause some wood etc is harmful to reptiles.

i have a few pieces of drift wood in my tank. have just sunned them after soaking them in boiling water.

Dave94 said:
in my opinion.. Also to add my babies refuse to eat when there basking spot is low.

I attest to that. My bearded refuses to eat if the temperature is even 1C below 40.

http://www.reptile-crazy.co.uk/flatfaunarium.jpg

link to the type of enclosure they are now in

Not sure if it's been replied to, but that enclosure probably has way too much ventilation. And, it's plastic, which doesn't contain heat very well.

do u cover ur lamps.? Im so worried the lil buggers will touch one.. i already burnt myself on it

I don't. I got sick of unscrewing the cover every time I needed to change the bulb (which was often- stupid pet store!).

I use sticks that I find down at the park. Make sure you file/sand down any broken bits or imperfections. Last thing you need is your dragon eating a piece of wood.

Not sure if it's been replied to, but that enclosure probably has way too much ventilation. And, it's plastic, which doesn't contain heat very well.

I find that my plastic tub does tend to retain heat and I've had to cut a huge hole in the lid and put fly screen over it so that I can keep a good temperature gradient.

For my baby beardy I've got it 26-28 in the cool end and 35-40 in the basking spot.

Thanks again...
I dreamt of these Lizards hahah Im soo paranoid of everylittle thing its consuming me.

With the EWD's I have never been this concerned..they just look hardier,and seem to have no dramas (being local to my area)..

How many times a day should i feed them and how many crickets (covered in calcium) each sitting per lizard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back