Best way to get use to handling snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I own a spotted python who is 1year old now and I am still freaked out about holding him!

He doesnt do anything to warrent me being scared of picking him up, i just cant pluck up the courage to put my (gloved) hand in and grab him.

Any advice for this big wimp?

hey mate what area are you from?

Last edited:
I was going to ask the same question I've had my spotted for about a month - he's pretty laid back but we had a heap of issue's with his health so wasn't able to handle him for a bit now he hasn't been handled for a couple of weeks I'm hesitant...Like you I so want to be able to, it's just a confidence thing I suppose-

Let him bite you. its all part of the fun of snakes lol. Once its happened you will get over your fear

Hey guys,

I own a spotted python who is 1year old now and I am still freaked out about holding him!

He doesnt do anything to warrent me being scared of picking him up, i just cant pluck up the courage to put my (gloved) hand in and grab him.

Any advice for this big wimp?

Buy a tiger snake and then the spotted won't seem so bad ;) :lol:

best way to get used to handling snakes is go catching browns by diving on them in the grass lol
or you can let your little spotted work you over till you get used to it

dtulip out of all the 'suggestions' that's awsome of you to offer...rather than compare our smaller snakes saying we should just suck it up -
We want to handle our snakes but something is holding us back - lack of confidence whatever the case is to us a python is a python either way we're going to be hesitant until we figure something out or with time...

dtulip out of all the 'suggestions' that's awsome of you to offer...rather than compare our smaller snakes saying we should just suck it up -
We want to handle our snakes but something is holding us back - lack of confidence whatever the case is to us a python is a python either way we're going to be hesitant until we figure something out or with time...

True. Sometimes all the explaining in the world doesn't compare to a 'hands on' lesson.
Actually being there, being shown, and doing it would help a lot, I would think :)

Hey Diamonds and Funkstaa,

I've still not held a BIG carpet yet so I haven't been inducted in to the club properly yet... But thought I might have some helpful advice...

I have my Stimson who "bluffed" a few times when I first got him, (and have to admit, that scared the crap out of me at the time!) but it was after watching a mate just walk up, no hesitation, picked him up and start playing with him, that I decided I was being a big "jessie". I started picking him up expecting that he wouldn't bite me, and he's never bitten me since, and so to date never drew any blood...

My little juvy carpets on the other hand, from a couple of months old when I got them, both were able to draw blood (albeit a tiny needle prick dot of blood most times), but it reignited the instinctual fear of bites for me... Just couldn't help being a little nervous, mainly just not wanting to react irrationally, for example jerking my hand away and potentially injuring the snake...

Someone earlier posted along the lines of just going about your business, and then quickly deciding you're just going straight over and picking it up! I guess it's not that simple if like me, you need to pick up and move the click clack, which alerts the snake to your presence, gives you time to work yourself into anxiety etc...

But I've definitely found, that the more you hesitate, even if bringing your hand in really slowly to pick him up, they seem to perceive the hand as threatening, coil up, strike at me, and as a result I reach for the hook, then once out, no more problem...

I have successfully convinced myself to be less of a "Jessie", and have begun timing a quick but gentle grab when the head is facing away etc, sometimes even using one hand for distraction whilst the other picks up the body. I've found that once I've got a hold of the body, he's much less interested in coiling to bite, but instead appears eager to escape as a result of the surprise of being touched maybe...

Either way, after a couple of seconds, he's calm and I'm not bleeding!

I considered just putting my hand in with my eyes closed to purposefully get a bite, I think it was the fear that I might still jerk my hand out if bitten that turned me away, but if you got someone else with a bit of a sadistic side to hold your hand firmly in there... lol

Best of luck anyway!

yeah i am more than happy to help new ppl to the world of snakes and dont mind giving some pointers. the best way to get used to handling snakes is hands on experience not a internet forum.

cheers Dayle

Sorry to hijack this thread but would someone please post a new thread titled IS ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS POSTING NEW THREADS as i can reply but not start new thread and i know a lot of others are having same prob

Sorry to hijack this thread but would someone please post a new thread titled IS ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS POSTING NEW THREADS as i can reply but not start new thread and i know a lot of others are having same prob

Don't know if this helps, but people are having trouble-this was posted last night....
difficuilties making new thread: fix it

Last edited:
Just wondering, why would you buy a snake if you are scared of handling them???

some ppl will buy a snake to get over a fear of snakes. i have sold a few snakes to ppl in industries where they have to work with snakes on a regular basis but might not like the thought of snakes. it just calms them down when they come across a wild one.

some ppl will buy a snake to get over a fear of snakes. i have sold a few snakes to ppl in industries where they have to work with snakes on a regular basis but might not like the thought of snakes. it just calms them down when they come across a wild one.

Thats not a bad idea. Might buy my mum one for easter :D cant see it being at her house more than 10 seconds so i guess it might have to just bring it back home with me. i might then also get me...........i mean her another one for chrissie as well

Nick

Dimond I sooo get where your coming from- Josh for me standing in a shop with some one expierienced is completely different to standing in my lounge room with no back up, it's like crap what if something happens.
With time comes confidence I suppose, after reading this I decided I needed to suck it up - helped that little miss 5 is so eagar to handle him, she was a good distraction.
I used a hook to get him out as he's a little cage protective but once out he's a dream, just learning his body language...every time I hold him I feel a little more at ease -
I'm lucky to have such a great python, and someone to laugh at when I get nervous ( little miss 5 put him around her neck and was singing the 'I'm a tree dance )....a good visual for when you get nervous lol : )
Good Luck!

Remove the snake with a snake hook, then handle it 'outside' its enviroment. Most of the times they bite is because they think your food in their tank, or your in their territory, so take em out then handle em, if it bites you, put it back, try again next day, and if it's ok after a while, keep it out for 20-30 min, put it back in, next day, do the same, it should get used to you after a couple of weeks, then forget the snake hook, just grab it the same pace as the snake hook.. and 20 min, put back in.. also try feeding it near the water bowl for eg, and always just leave the food there, try avoid dangling it infront with tongs, unless it doesn't eat it off the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back