Handling Nervous Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radioinvader

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I got a two year old spotted python a week ago, and last night I decided to take him out and just sit down with him to see how he did. He didn't 'S' up when I got him out with the hook, although the second I got him out he tried to slither back into his terrarium and he had hid his head under his body when he realized he was being taken out. Then when I sat down (gently, mind you) he false-struck at my hand while I was holding him. I was really nervous about actually getting bitten (though I know they are virtually harmless, but I didn't want to hurt him by accident if I jerked my hand while he was biting me), so I gently let him go back into the terrarium.

I have contemplated getting him out again to see if he is just nervous with me being a new person, but I am afraid of scaring him when I get him out. I'm not sure what to look for in body language, and I don't know if he needs another week to calm down or if I should start short handling sessions every day other than after feeding. Its silly, but after he feigned striking at me it's made me nervous to take him out at all and I don't know what to do. I know he's not bad with people because the previous owner had him out to show me when I picked him up.

I'm a first time snake owner, although I've handled them before, so I have no idea what to do in this situation, and when I did finally get to the pet store to pick up something, they said 'their snake people weren't in' and that they couldn't tell me anything.

Just have patience mate and don't be afraid/nervous when handling, snake will pick up on that and bites don't hurt especially a defensive nip. I'd leave it a week and try again. In most cases the S shape is the best give away although not always the case. The biggest thing is probably not being afraid to be bitten, with most snakes at some point wether your fault or snakes( most prob yours) you will get bitten.

Last edited:
Thank you, I'm sorry... I just can't tell the difference between needing to let him have more space and time alone and him just needing to get used to being handled by me.

hiding his head and trying to get back into his enclosure are clear signs that its looking for cover, or to hide. So it's still not comfortable with its surroundings, which will in turn make it uncomfortable with being handled as well.

hiding his head and trying to get back into his enclosure are clear signs that its looking for cover, or to hide. So it's still not comfortable with its surroundings, which will in turn make it uncomfortable with being handled as well.
Okay, thank you for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back