Beware Albino/ Hybrid buyers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the wording of the law, it's quite clear that albinos can't legally be bred in QLD. Whether or not they'll ever try to test that law is another story, and my guess is that they won't, because it would be very unlikely that they'd win. Almost certainly, the case would be thrown out and they'd be forced to get rid of their rule. Until it is tested, the rule can quietly sit there and deter a lot of people.

Of course, according to the law as it is written, absolutely every reptile in QLD is held illegally, as every single reptile which exists carries mutations. They clearly didn't consult a geneticist when the document was written up! Exactly why they don't want people to have "mutations" is a little unclear. I've spoken to some EPA staff who had concerns that if a strangely coloured snake escaped it might cause trouble, my guess is that the original concern was that if everyone has bright purple snake with green and red polka dots, there will be no natural snakes, and thus the captive population will be over lower conservation value. The fact is, very few captive snakes have any direct conservation value (some may argue that they raise public awareness and thus have indirect conservation value), and those which do are special cases which are treated accordingly. Almost never are these cases in the general pet trade (yes, there are exceptions, don't bother pointing them out as if I wasn't aware they existed).

to mrbredli and the donkey, i was making the point that the natural intergade i was talking about was the one from the port mac area, umm, unless you know something that i don't these were formed by diamonds and coastals breeding in the wild over many years, so what part of the natural occuring intergrade was a coastal x diamond don't you understand?

i'm guessing in all your reptile research you haven't heard of any other natural intergrades, :shock:

just because you think you know what a hybrid should be doesn't mean i have the same opinion,

i more then most have read and listened to all the garbage about hybrids, intergrades and crosses,

:shock:

I'm no expert but I do know that intergrades are not produced when two seperate sub-species cross paths and mate in the wild :lol:

to mrbredli and the donkey, i was making the point that the natural intergade i was talking about was the one from the port mac area, umm, unless you know something that i don't these were formed by diamonds and coastals breeding in the wild over many years, so what part of the natural occuring intergrade was a coastal x diamond don't you understand?

i'm guessing in all your reptile research you haven't heard of any other natural intergrades, :shock:

just because you think you know what a hybrid should be doesn't mean i have the same opinion,

i more then most have read and listened to all the garbage about hybrids, intergrades and crosses,

:shock:

oh dear oh deary me, i really gave you more credit then that.

Their is definatly some confusion here.

But like you said in another thread maybe.

:lol: thanks thenothing, i have read that, haha,

everybody to there own,'

and it won't start again, i'm on probation, so i'll be good..................

sorry donkey, i may have worded it the wrong way, but then that happens to most of us, i just didn't want anybody thinking a bred my coastal with a stimmy/maccie intergrade, :shock:

sorry donkey, i may have worded it the wrong way, but then that happens to most of us, i just didn't want anybody thinking a bred my coastal with a stimmy/maccie intergrade, :shock:

that could be rather interesting :lol:

albinos have been kept, bred, and sold in qld for many years now with out any dramas from qpws, so whats with all the worry now.?? They cant just decide to do something about it because they all of a sudden they want to, if this was the case they would of stopped the caramel childrens, the adders etc a long time ago, yet both have been kept, bred and sold in qld in quite large numbers over the years.
Hell walk into any pet shop and youll find dozens of different albino fish and birds, most of which are exotics, that are heaps more threatening to oz than an indigenous albino python.
Think about it people, there is no way that they could justify taking your collection over a natural occourring animal.
Hybrids, (not intergrades), on the other hand are a compeletly different story and any one who puts hybrids and albinos in the same catagory really dosnt have a clue at all.

bwana, i spoke to a ranger in townsville, even invited them around for a look some time, never once did they say they have a problem with me keeping and breeding them.

Last edited:
One thing that is key to this arguement is the LEGAL DEFINATIONS OF THE WORDS MUTATION AND HYBRID, DOES ANYONE HAVE THESE DEFINITIONS? AS THEY OBVIOUSLY ARE NOTHING LIKE THE TRUE MEANINGS OF THE WORDS.

As Sdaji says the law effectively bans everything if interpreted litterally. If they didnt put the word "mutation" in to stop ppl breeding albinos what the hell do you think they are trying to stop?

There is also no mention of whether or not the mutation or hybrid is natural. IMO nothing captive bred is truely "natural" anyway.

Last edited:
Maybe we need a member from each state authority on the site to 'clear up' these things, or at least take it back to the authority to discuss it with our ideas. I'm sick of how many different stories you can be given by the one set of people. It's really ridiculous it's just annoying.

If you worry about getting caught, don't breed them.
Us outer state people will happily sell them to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back