bhp feeding question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacques92

Reaction score
So I have two bhp 3 and half years old 3.2 kg heavy and about 6 foot long.
I stopped feeding them last year as I tried breeding them, so for about 4 months they did not eat.
So for the last couple of months they've been having a xlarge rat every 7 days to put the weight back on.
My question is, should I keep on feeding them every 7 days or should I feed them an xlarge rat every 10 or 14 days?

Maybe another question would be should you be feeding them very large rats at all.
A lot of people limit the size of rat for BHP's because they are prone to fatty liver disease.

I am aware of the fact that they are prone to fatty liver disease that's what I am trying to avoid.
I contacted the person I purchase my rats from and the rats are on a well balanced diet so the rats are quite lean and does not have much body fat on them.

Adult Rats carry 5% more fat than juveniles, up around 32%
If you do a search on Google you will find a full nutrition guide for reptile foods.

I don't think anyone can answer your question with anything other than an opinion. Personally I don't feed any adult snake more frequently than every 2 weeks.

Rabbits are meant to be a very lean animal, a friend of mine who has been breeding BHP,s for over a decade changed to rabbits a couple of years ago as feeding medium rats got too expensive when feeding large girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back