biggest Scrubbie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeman 93

Reaction score
Since Brucie posted who has the biggest carpet I thought I would have one.
Who has the biggest Scrub python?
By the way I don't have one.:)

the largest one i have at the moment would be about 14ft but its by no far the biggest, probably average adult size. i think dreamworld have a large one, but i forgot how big it was?

Last edited:
holly ****..

elapid68
1_208a.jpg

supposedly 8.5m but some doubt that, going off the other sizes that have been recorded i think they could definately get that big.

yes i read in an old book about the worlds biggest pythons
and there was a recorded case early in the 20th century of a 27 ft scrubbie,

but when you say biggest you mean longest cause some are just heavy
but they seem typicaly slender snake for there size

average size?
there was a study in herpetafauna journel i read and it followed the growth from birth of a bunch of scrubbie hatchlings for 2 years,and i think a couple of them measured over 12 ft
in that time

ill try to dig up the paper on it

hers something i cut and pasted

ScrubPython.jpg
Scrub Python/Amethystine Python, Morelia amethystina
Egg laying . Not potentially dangerous, but ready biter. Due to size, could be harmful to small children.
I have come across this python only twice in eight years. Some herpetologists believe they are not in this area, but I know for a fact they are. To the untrained eye they look like a giant Carpet Python, To the enthusiast they are unmistakable, with large square like plates (scales) on top of their head, where as Carpet Pythons have small scales on the surface of their head.
The Scrub Python is found in north eastern Queensland and the islands of Torres Strait and New Guinea. Average length 3.5 to 5 metres. However, in 1948, halfway across the base of Cape York Peninsula in high country, a Scrub Python was shot that was said to have measured more than 8.5 metres long.
In 1970 Eric Worrell recorded a specimen that was 8.5 metres long from Greenhill, near Cairns! Some people may be sceptical about the existence of 8.5 metre scrub pythons, but I have no doubt that Eric Worrel's records would be accurate as he was a pioneer of snake capture and venom research in this country.
We have so much thick and untamed bush in Australia it would not surprise me if one day even larger specimens are found.
This species feeds on many different large vertibrates such as fowls, fruit bats and large specimens have been known to consume fully grown wallabies!

kinba,
man thats a doozie,
i think i saw u buying a rat for feed in a shop a few weeks ago and overheard your conversation. with regards to the scrubbie.
i thinks you needed a lamb not a rat.
ian

I personally think alot of the sceptics are just jealous they havnt found big ones.

As for not potentially dangerous they have killed 2 keepers in Australia that i have heard of and brken a fair few bones probably too. A doubt a wild one wouldnt bother you unless you were small enough to eat.

hahahaha yeah thats a hugeeeeeeee scrubby.

could u imagine a bite of that?

There's always someone around here ready to pimp out others, lol.
But HOLY SHIZA, thats a big snake.
And 27 foot? would love a shot of that one (preferably NOT latched onto my face)

the last reptiles australia magazine said that 8.5m record was full of it...

that gallery image is intense...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back