Bitey Diamond

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rubygirl

Reaction score
Hi, our 2yo Diamond Python has started striking & biting EVERY time I handle her since her last shed. Her last shed was intact & complete & 140cm long. It's suddenly become a challenge to get her from her enclosure & when I finally manage it she constricts around my hands & bites & strikes any other body part I let her close enough to.
I generally feed her an adult mouse every 10 days or so but she has fed 3 times in 3 weeks with no change in her behaviour. Enclosure temp is fine & we haven't changed anything in there either....
Any ideas whats going on? Should I be feeding her larger meals? I'm starting to feel a little anxious about handling her, my arms & legs are looking like pin cushions....

definately yes to larger meals,...its eating season for snakes,.....

Thanks Chris1, what would be the best to give? I'd rather stay away from chicks - small rats once a fortnight? or are they the same/similar to an adult mouse? I've been to reptile stores & they have been really vague & not helpful at all..... also when you say it's eating season does that mean I should feed more often through warmer months?

weigh her, and feed her 15-20% of her body weight, weekly for a few weeks, then go back to 10-14 days.

Yep, feed more through the warmer months, your snake still has alot of growing to do, being a diamond its really important that she's cooled over winter, so she will have a break from eating and needs to be in good condition for that.

Thanks for your great advice. I'd heard that diamonds have a reputation of being greedy so I was worried about over-feeding her!! Hopefully we will have our happy girl back in a couple of weeks.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back