Black Headed Monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if you heat it and feed it right it will out grow that box in a year.
i dont think they will live outside in south sydney with out extra heating.

Depends on which Tristis you are talking about.
I have tristis orientalis.
4 yo, 40cm total length.
A trio live happily in a 4 x 2 x 2 tank with enough room to hide, explore & bask.
Adding ledges increases the usable internal area also.
A Tristis tristis would definately not live in that size tank for long.

i guess it depends on there locality my orientalis are 50 - 60 cm total lenght, there tails are about 40cm long.

So there you have it snakemadness.
There are a lot of other factors to be taken into consideration before you settle on their housing requirements.
Do a bit of reasearch into what is available from where & see how each individual breeder houses them.
If you house them similar to the breeder does, you can't go too far wrong.

Thankyou Gary for all your help.And all the others :) ill start setting up. Would the MV (mercury vapour)globes be okay to use as heat and uv?

Can't answer that as I don't use them. Someone else will have a far better idea

Thankyou Gary for all your help.And all the others :) ill start setting up. Would the MV (mercury vapour)globes be okay to use as heat and uv?

I've raised dragons under these lights with no problems. As with all lizards I still take them outdoors once a week or once a fortnight for a basking oppourtunity in the sun when weather suits. Monitors would thrive under these lights I have no doubt. I did raise one clutch of Varanus tristis tristis under these for a short amount of time with no dramas, but the entire clutch was sold quickly so not sure what the results would be long term. I'd say fine - just watch room temps in the summer that you don't cook the lizards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back