"BLUE" Green Tree Frog

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gorgeous little guy! Then again I'm somewhat biased as I love the bright green guys just as much, how can you not, they are just gorgeous animals :)

That is not a GTF that is a bluey green colour. It is obviously a different species of Tree Frog. I have a GTF that is 'bluey' in colour.

I don't much at all about genetics and breeding but if you had a pair of blue ones like in the magazine would they breed blue?

Are you referring to the frog in my pics Fay?
If so, it is not a different species, it's a young male Green Tree Frog Litoria caerulea.
The specimen was captured in one of Townsville's suburbs in 1997. The blue colour is a result of a genetic disorder. Ironically, this blue gem was eaten by a larger, veracious Litoria albogutata. My colleague didn't know that albos are cannibalistic and put them both into one tank. That was the end of bluey - I was very lucky to get a series of photos the day before the "accident". That was the only blue frog I have ever seen.

Yeah, I was referring to that.

OK, just looks like a different frog to me. Eyes seem higher up on the head.

I had heard about the different layers of blue and yellow making the green and that some were produced without the yellow but i have never seen one before, its incredable. Anyone who has these should find other who also have them and get a breeding project going. I'd pay good money for a frog like that!

It almost looks like a white lipped tree frog (litoria Infrafrenata).

Yes so would a frog like this, cross bred to its young (ie het) produce blue babys thats what i wana know?

so are frogs the same as reptiles when it comes to breeding linages ie this colour albino ect

I don't think anyone tried it because no one had a pair of such frogs. It would depend on what caused the disruption of the yellow layer, it may or may not be genetic.

The albinos of L. aurea that ive been breeding. I couldnt source males. So have bred standard green males over the albino females, then progeny back to the albino femaless. Got a % of albinos. Albino to albino with these frogs produce 100% albino.

Would love to try a blue frog, i suspect its much like leucistics. I would very much suspect it would be passed on one way or another. May not be as straight forward as the albinos.

Leucistics (yellow with dark patches and black eyes) are popping up in nz, hoping to breed some in the near future..should be interesting to say the least.

Last edited:
The albinos of L. aurea that ive been breeding. I couldnt source males. So have bred standard green males over the albino fems, then progeny back to albino fems. Got a % of albinos. Albino to albino with these frogs produce 100% albino.

Would love to try a blue frog, i suspect its much like leucistics. I would very much suspect it would be passed on one way or another. May not be as straight forward as the albinos.

Leucistics (yellow with dark patches and black eyes) are popping up in nz, hoping to breed some in the near future..should be interesting to say the least.

Pics of said albino frogs? never seen them before

I think I found one!

Hi,

I found this thread on google whilst searching for info about a frog I found on our property last week whilst mowing my mother in law's lawn. It looks like a young green tree frog but it is blue. It changes between being a light blue, almost aqua colour and a dark almost purple colour. Noone I have talked to has every seen anything like it around here. How rare is this? I have kept him around the house until I find out more about him. Very intrigued! Any info would be appreciated!:lol:

Attachments

• IMG_1259.JPG
    IMG_1259.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1258.JPG
    IMG_1258.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 120
Hi,

I may have last week. Have beem searching the net for any info on "Bluey" as my son has called him and came across this thread. Check out my post and pics and let me know what you think!

Hi,

I found this thread on google whilst searching for info about a frog I found on our property last week whilst mowing my mother in law's lawn. It looks like a young green tree frog but it is blue. It changes between being a light blue, almost aqua colour and a dark almost purple colour. Noone I have talked to has every seen anything like it around here. How rare is this? I have kept him around the house until I find out more about him. Very intrigued! Any info would be appreciated!:lol:

awesome pics.. but i have to ask, what did u do to ur knuckles LOL

awesome pics.. but i have to ask, what did u do to ur knuckles LOL

Ha ha looks a bit suspect doesn't it! Nothing exciting just red spray paint. Redoing a chest of drawers and got a bit messy! You should see my eldest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back