blue ringed octopus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

percey39

Reaction score
Hi i was just wondering if any one could shed some light on wether you can legally keep these?
I have searched for a couple of weeks now for the information on the net, but i cant find anything that gives a definitive answer or information on who to call.
I am in the process of finishing my salt water tank and its 100% escape proof for this reason.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Aaron

Yeah i have read a lot about the requirements. I had found an artical which said amazing amazon used to sell them but that thread is quite old.
I would imagine there would not be many breeders around for these guys, especially considering their short life span if they were wild caught.
Thanks for the info

Hmmmm...... are there any legalities when it comes to recreational fishing and octupus? Do you have to release? Can you take for food?

I have not heard of any restrictions in keeping them in caprivity. Just come down to Port Philip Bay......

they are all around Mornington, Mt Eliza etc. Marine animals in aquariums are majority wild caught anyway??

Maybe not majority caught, Jay, but things like blue-ringed octopus probably would be.

Octopus don't have a long lifespan anyway, only 1-2 years.

There are a fair few around the rock pools down here as well. I have thought about taking a couple but decided against it and thought i would buy one instead. If you can legally collect them then i would grab a trio as they are everywhere at the right time of year.
My only concern was food for them. I would get crabs every fortnight from the local beaches and as i read kristy in your thread shrimp and fish.

Haha extremely carefully. I am having very interesting talks with the other half about these guy's at the moment. I had the same when i got my first elapid though so im pretty sure i will win!!!!

Aaron, we just got lucky that ours lasted so long - we knew absolutely nothing about them. I don't know how he survived in our care as long as he did!

I think taking one from the wild wouldn't be a problem. But, as octopus are typically solitary animals, I would suggest having one, not a trio.

I understand what your saying Kristy but as my tank is so large i assumed that they would be fine in there. The tank is 6'x3'x4' and wasnt too sure if you could keep more than one in there, I will have a better look into that side of things.
Also cheers for that sock puppet i will ring our authorities and ask.

if you want to keep them legally call your local fisheries and or wildlife department

Such a HUGE tank for an itty bitty octopus lol......

Yeah thats it, if not i can swap with my mate and get his smaller one lol its still pretty big for something the size of a golf ball. The other tank is 4'x2'x3' so still big for it. Not quite as big as the ocean still lol. I just love when they dart off with their rings glowing. That was my reasoning behind grabbing my mates biggest tank.

Last edited:
i kept them years ago when i had a a large salt water tank - they have short life spans so if you want to keep them u always need to beware of there age one year i even breed them but i sold them to a bloke down the road withmy tank set up and all my other fish in there (the first oner i had his name was flasher ) i found my at the rocks off north narrabeen and i had this thing at one stage for them ! great little pets hard to see and hard to keep make sure your tank is secure and i hope you dont have kids around as well, but they are a great pet if you can find them i will one day get some more when i have the time to look after a salt water tank again -

I have no kids, so i have got that up my sleave. The top i have made there is no way that one could escape. The age and life span are the only off putting things about them. What did you house with it if you dont mind me asking? It would be good to be able to use this tank for something else as well. At the moment im looking at getting some starfish for in there as well.

Last edited:
I caught one fishing a couple of months ago and seriously contemplated setting up a tank for it. The colour on these guys is unbelievable, I told my mate who owns an aquarium shop and he was spewing i didn't bring it up to him as he gets people asking about them all the time.

Ben

Attachments

• blue ring.jpg
    blue ring.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 170
i kept them years ago when i had a a large salt water tank - they have short life spans so if you want to keep them u always need to beware of there age one year i even breed them but i sold them to a bloke down the road withmy tank set up and all my other fish in there (the first oner i had his name was flasher ) i found my at the rocks off north narrabeen and i had this thing at one stage for them ! great little pets hard to see and hard to keep make sure your tank is secure and i hope you dont have kids around as well, but they are a great pet if you can find them i will one day get some more when i have the time to look after a salt water tank again -

how did you get them past the larval stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back