blue ringed octopus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe not majority caught, Jay, but things like blue-ringed octopus probably would be.

Octopus don't have a long lifespan anyway, only 1-2 years.

95% of marine fish sold in aquariums are wild caught. Only a few species of clowns, cardinals and damsels are captive bred. Oh and sea horses and a few inverts

95% of marine fish sold in aquariums are wild caught. Only a few species of clowns, cardinals and damsels are captive bred. Oh and sea horses and a few inverts
correct its amazing what they are breeding now but still way to many are wild caught.

Do they go well in a salad??

I've caught them before and as mentioned are absolutely spectacular when annoyed! It's like someone has flicked an electrical switch, the colour is extraordinary!

Sorry, it didn't take me long on google to realise you're right. Which is why it's much more environmentally friendly to go diving, instead :lol:

Do they go well in a salad??

I've caught them before and as mentioned are absolutely spectacular when annoyed! It's like someone has flicked an electrical switch, the colour is extraordinary!

We used to poke our guy occasionally and watch him light up :oops: Gee, he looked good, though ;)

All this talk about Blue Ringed Octopus made me youtube it.
[video=youtube;SNxJwCGJtsA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNxJwCGJtsA[/video]

that video is wrong, that only shows them being along the south coast of aus, i used to live in port headland and we use to go occy hunting at low tide and we have seen those guys i was young almost grabbed one before dad stopped me after a poke with a stick he light up like a light bulb very cool

Yeah, I thought that distribution map looked a bit dodgy...; I've seen one at Point Cartwright, Mooloolaba. Didn't show Qld at all.
Nic

Well you didn't hear this from me but if you tie a few empty coke cans to some fishing line and hang them beneath a pier or similar you should find some in there in a couple of days. Octopus can squeeze through almost any gap, the only thing that stops them is the size of their beak.

Well you didn't hear this from me but if you tie a few empty coke cans to some fishing line and hang them beneath a pier or similar you should find some in there in a couple of days. Octopus can squeeze through almost any gap, the only thing that stops them is the size of their beak.

But how do you get them out of the coke can again? :D

OMG i just searched on you tube for vids and came across a video of a peacock mantis shrimp KILLING a blue
ringed octopus!

But how do you get them out of the coke can again? :D
Carefuly! LOL but seriously carefuly. Nah you just put the can in a bucket you can seal with sea water then put the can in the prepared tank and it will eventually leave on its own. Don't even need to touch it
You didnt hear that from me either

mantis shrimps are amazing
Until they keep you awake hitting the glass of the tank all night!!! They are amazing animals and I have kept Mantis & Pistol shrimp, they are amazing and usually considered pests in marine aquariums. I did play a part many years ago in keeping Mantis as pets and have posted my experiences in the Marine Aquarium world, but that was before Herps!. ..

I have a funny story (sorry to hijak) & some may know that I was fully into marines years ago...I always wanted an octopus, which my local supplier knew..one day they called me and said "Scott we have a beautiful octopus if you want it"! I jumped at it and purchased for a minimal fee...Brought this amazing little specimen home and acclimatised it into my 6ft mini-reef system...He took off like a rocket into the rocks/corals...and I never saw him again!!! PMSL.....next time I would keep one in a small tank that let mer actually enjoy it!!! Blue ringed Octopi are amazing, I find it interesting that they seem to be found in numbers in Victoria...you guys are lucky!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back