blue ringed octopus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what kind of octopus was it a blue ring
No it wasn't a Blue Ringed, I really don't know what kind it was, as there are so many..I was just so keen to get one and this little guy was found in some live rock by my mates at the shop and they told me about it....
That's how you get the mantis shrimp...the "live" rock comes in in boxes to the shops and the shrimp who lived n the rock bail out as they are not fully submerged in water anymore and we used to find them in the bags that held the live rock in. That's when it gave me the idea to keep these beautiful little shrimp as pets....The shops used to kill them and feed them to the fish, because they are considered pests as they kill fish and other invertebrate in tanks. I love these little guys and kept them solitary tanks and published my experiences, which then inspired others! I think they are a smart and fascinating animal and I used to hand feed many that I had "tamed" (says loosely) to accept a feed from me. BUT if you have ever had a whack by a full grown mantis..now that's an experience...they say it's the equivalent of "off memory" .22 calibre gun shot. Amazing creatures!!! :)

I have heard stories of them smashing through their tanks? Is this true?

I have heard stories of them smashing through their tanks? Is this true?
Jay, this is alleged, but I have never personally experienced it Thank God! :)
This "myth" although maybe true, must have been from a BIG mantis in a tank with really thin aquarium glass. I had a mantis grow to 20cm and it never cracked the glass, that's a BIG Mantis, you could eat that on the BBQ....which I didn't, I sold it, it was a pet that I loved!!!! But i'm sure it wopukld be yummy! I also used to have Lobsters in captivity, BUT never ate them...although I do love Lobbies!!! :)

Scott, I saw a lobster in a restaurant (still alive) in Da Nang recently that was, seriously, the size and thickness of my thigh :shock: I'm no Twiggy, either. So colourful, too. Looked awesome.

Scott, I saw a lobster in a restaurant (still alive) in Da Nang recently that was, seriously, the size and thickness of my thigh :shock: I'm no Twiggy, either. So colourful, too. Looked awesome.
Kristy my sweet, A lady NEVER discloses the size of her thigh, like a man never discloses the length if his D***! LOL.
Seriously though, I have seen some massive shrimps in Asia and as most animals, the smaller is the sweeter, the same as here with crayfish!
20cm is not that long Jay that's ONLY 6"...lol ;) Must have been an Asian import Mantis.... Joking of course mate....;)
He was a big fella and they are fascinating for sure. Just reminiscing before, I said to the Family i'm getting another Mantis...which I will tomorrow, pics on the way "IF I can get one at such short notice". I'm FULLY physch'ed as they were a special part of my life and worth recapturing as they are intriguing Jay!!

mantises cracking glass has been documented a few times it normally happens when they are killing there pray or excavating there burrow in the rock and hitting the bottom of the tank.
i have a tank setup for a mantis but have yet to acquire one as most places kill them or toss them if found. they have the most complex eyes in the world being able to see in, i think 17 different colour spectrum

Just thought i would share some of the infomation i have received from the authorities in victoria. A permit is required to keep this species and the permits are extremely hard to obtain due to the risks involved with keeping the blue ringed octopus. If you wish to keep them you have to contact the fisheries officer and ask to obtain this permit.

Hay percey?

How much ( if you dont mind me asking) did the tank setup set you back?

Ive been thinking about setting up a marine fish tank, but have been concerned about maintenance and controlling the water

Bryan Fry told me that they are not kept well in captivity.

Hay percey?

How much ( if you dont mind me asking) did the tank setup set you back?

Ive been thinking about setting up a marine fish tank, but have been concerned about maintenance and controlling the water

Hey mate, i bought my tank, stand, sump, pump, a tidal type thing ( lol ) and all the filters and cooler off a mate who quit keeping fish a few years ago. I paid 700 for the whole lot, but i did get quotes off the a store and they gave me a price of $1500 for 700L x 300D x 450H without a cooler and was only the tank and set up nothing else included.
Maintenance is pretty full on for these guy's as i have talked to a guy who owned them and was told you have to change around 20% of the water every couple of days to keep these guys going strong.
My mate kept fish only got out of it as he said they are a lot of work and his back could not handle it any more.

i have set up a 48cm cube marine tank. only got wet two days ago and have spent 900 on it so far still have a load to buy as well. as for water changes go with a good skimmer 1/4 volume changes once a fortnight are enough

I have a skimmer in my set up as well but was told to change every 2 to a 4 days. The person i have spoken to has kept these guys for a few years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back