Blue Tongue Heating Source?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rreptiless

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am purchasing some juvenile blue tongue lizards in the near future and would like to find a suitable heat source for them. Please comment if you know a suitable heating source for the spectacular looking lizards :)!

Please include where you can buy the heating source....

Thanks,
Terry

I don't own skinks but a few people are moving to GU10 globes for monitors. They give a really good heat output for lower wattages and for skinks that don't need to be as hot as monitors you could get away with quite low power. Otherwise, I've also used the Philips spotlight globes in the past. They use an ES fitting and they are quite cheap to buy from Big W or wherever. They are good because they aim the heat to a more direct point so you get a nice basking spot without wasting too much energy heating up the surrounding environment.

i use a Mercury Vapour Bulb for in the day for my bobtail. He cooks under that all day and absorbes his UVA/UVB, and at night when i switch it off, he has a heat cord under one of his hides so he can keep warm at night. Although i wont be using the heat cord in the summer.
I like the MVB because you dont need a thermostat. I have a thermometer probe under the beem to make sure it doesn't get too hot - and if it does, I simply raise the bulb a few cm's.
MVB's are at any pet shop and some regular lighting shops. There are also heaps of on-line places too. "The Herp Shop" sells them quite cheap.

I have had blueys inside for 10 years and are yet to discover any real benifits from uvb bulbs. I use 60w or 75w uva heatglobes and have had no trouble with eating ,deficating,breeding and birth. My heat basking spot stays around 32/33 degrees and my cool end about 21/22degrees. So many people have told me that if i don't use uvb my lizards will have heealth issues or not live very long lives,however most between 4-10 and all seem to be big thriving blueys. I have also been using this for my Shingles for the past 3 years without any ill effects aswell. So if anyone can tell me uvb is so essential in Bluetongues please tell me of benifits as i'm yet to see none. I kept one lizard for 2 years with a UVB setup and over that 2 years did not see any difference in the animals behaviour or health.

Good call and well done on your sucess,
We are just about to add Bluetongued skinks to our herp collection (dragons,pythons and freshwater turtles) so I am fully interested in what people think here.....its gonna save me plenty. Im down with a thermal gradient and basking spot pref flat(slate) mid and possibly mid to high 30s and ventilation.

What I have heard is the terrestrial reptiles need the UVB to metabolise and process D3. Eh?

set up shot.jpg

all i know is i have yet to read anything saying skinks do not need UVA/UVB.
When my shingle has no UV, he goes off his food and hides away. With the UV, he eats SO much and is out and about being all lizard like.

A simple 60W infrared bulb from Reptile One, 8 bucks at pet shop.

On a thermostat ($12 new from eBay) 24/7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...I have heard is the terrestrial reptiles need the UVB to metabolise and process D3. Eh?

Not pythons that's for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monitors do not need UVB nor do geckoes, terrestrial or arboreal. Be mant Strophurus remain exposed to sunlight during the day (hiding on branches) a lot of keepers suggest giving the supplementary vitamin D or a bit of exposure to UVB. From the limited examples I have seen to date, they don't seem to need it.

Dragons do need it and in fair quantity. If skinks need it, then it only seems to be critical the young ones when actively growing. Lizardmakerry, did you give your young blueys and vitamin supplements? StimiLove, could it be your Shingleback was reacting to the extra heat the MV bulb kicks out?

Blue

I don't think it is at all wise to tell new keepers not to use UVB. I had a young boy in the shop yesterday who had a bluey die of MBD. Whilst trying to save him the vet prescribed liquid calcium and UVB. He was unfortunately too far gone and the young boy was devastated. As it can't hurt I think it is better to err on the side of caution. Having said that, mercury vapor for a blue tongue seems a little excessive heat wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back