blue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kathleen

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have just joined. I need some help with my 6 month blue who is having trouble with her legs. They are lazy and sometimes laying parralell to her body. I have spent days on the net trying to find some help. Any ideas?
Kathleen

hard to say but could be caused by a lack of calcium. but theres no point giving a calcium suplement if you dont have a uv light or your lizard dosent get at least 10 hours sunlight a week. uv or sunlight produces vitemin D, which is needed so the calcium can be absorbed. i would suggest that you take your lizard to a vet and have it checked out

thank you so much for your reply. Do you think a uv light will help? I need to find a vet near here that deals with reptiles. I will certainly follow through with your advice. Thanks again
Kathleen

Hi funcouple, just thought I would let you know I got a reply from Steve Irwins zoo in QLD. Apparently it is not uncommon for blues to drag their legs sometimes, but if it persists then it needs vet intervention.
Maybe you can pass this info on to other blue fanatics! I feel sooooo much better as my blue has been acting entirely normal today. Panic over for now but she will definitly be getting some sun this weekend.
Regards Kathleen

kathleen i have seen my blueys drag there back legs sometimes, BUT not all the time they do have movement still in them etc mine get enough calcium uv etc etc i wouldnt panic if i were u :)

I kept blues for 2-3 years without any uv.. just a heat mat and they were fine. They ate a varied diet. but never had a problem.. IS uv Needed?

thank you so much for reply. I am only new to caring for blueys and I need to know I am doing a good job. My blue is totally normal today and I love her. They are wonderful creatures.
Thanks again. I have stopped worrying for now. I am soooo glad I have found this site, I have spent days trying to contact someone who knows about blues. As I speak my little jessie is sitting on my shoulder. Ahhhh
Regards Kathleen

I don't know. I am only new but I just want the best for my jessie.
Kathleen

I kept blues for 2-3 years without any uv.. just a heat mat and they were fine. They ate a varied diet. but never had a problem.. IS uv Needed?

UVB is needed to allow the lizard to synthesise vitamin D3, which in turn allows it to properly absorb calcium. Without the UV you will eventually have health issues

this google search might help

Hi everyone. Can anyone suggest good plants to put in my blues tank?
Kathleen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back