Bluey in a SE Qld petshop

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I mean to hijack your thread CR...

But would UV provided through the sun shining through a window into the room provide enough, if any?

Just curious.

But would UV provided through the sun shining through a window into the room provide enough, if any?

Just curious.

i think most windows are tinted to prevent this happening.

Blueys don't need UV.
Heat Rocks are bad though.
At least a basking lamp would have been good.

of course they need UV you clown all diurnal reptiles need UV.How the hell do you think they would survive without the SUN,obviously they need less heat than dragons for instance but still need the UV to digest their food.

I dropped in at supercheap at currimundi today, on the way out I dropped into a petshop that sells herps. I noticed a nice big blue toung in an enclosure.... for sale in an enclosure. I am not very interested in lizzards personally..... but I noticed he was in an enclosure with no basking or UV light?
:oops:

you are very right to be concerned captain,ALL diurnal reptiles need UV to help with digestion to say the least.And whether you know SFA about lizards or not you should stick it up these ****ers selling them under appalling conditions.I don't know how pet shops are allowed to sell reptiles when they have no knowledge of the product,probably why it is illegal in NSW

Last edited:

Just curious.

I didn't think UV travelled through normal glass... I thought that the glass used in the bulbs is a specially designed glass.

I feed him pellets, dog food and vegetables that I dust with powder, I had assumed this would've been providing the nutrition?

do some more reading...Basic Care Sheet – Blue Tongue Lizards

Just curious.

the simple answer is NO because glass filters out UV rays,while it does provide heat

Last edited:
Hmmm... but according to Wikipedia... "Ordinary window glass passes about 90% of the light above 350 nm (UVA is 400 - 315, UVB is 315 - 280, and visible light is over 400), but blocks over 90% of the light below 300 nm."[SUP]
[/SUP]

Last edited:

Just curious.

Tobe, my pythons dont really need uv light, they get thier vit D from thier num nums. They do get a run on the lawn quite regularly for some real uv action, my bredli has a uv2 flouro just in case, but uv is not critical to pythons like I had heard it is for beardies, blueys etc.;)

Yeah I thought so. I keep my blinds open all day anyway as it is. So besides getting it from food I'm sure they're getting some extra.
Might give them a run on the lawn out the front when they get a bit older I think.

of course they need UV you clown all diurnal reptiles need UV.How the hell do you think they would survive without the SUN,obviously they need less heat than dragons for instance but still need the UV to digest their food.

Except they don't. UV doesn't translate to heat, which is lucky other wise I think some of our monitors will go blind from too much UV! :lol:;)

Of course, the name calling doesn't do any favours at all. The blue tongues requiring it seems to be up in arms (debatable I guess, on your skill and knowledge of keeping them?), but hardly "all diurnal" reptiles require it at all. Also you don't give lizards UV for digestion. I guess don't be insulting when you're not very clear on the facts yourself?

So, just getting it straight in my head...... they need heat (as in warmth not neccessarily anything to do with light) for digestion and metabolism...... and uva & uvb for bone strength and general health and well being? Does that sort of sum it up in simple terms?

I just love it when somebody insults someone but then they are WRONG. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy...

notechistiger... out of curiosity, could you please explain your username for me :)

only if you want to though....

Of course. Tiger snakes are my favourite snakes (although I don't own them) and the genus for tiger snakes is Notechis. "Notechis" was taken, so I made it this instead.

To be perfectly honest, I've wondered for a while, every time I see a post from you it gets me wondering again: I thought I was a mashup of words or something, its certainly kept me thinking hahaha

Now I can finally be at peace...

back on topic of UVA/UVB requirements, i noticed blue tongues i kept when exposed to natural sunlight seemed more active/displayed more, how do you put this, "natural tendencies/wild behaviour" i suppose? like say slightly agitated/dont touch me if you know whats good for you kinda thing, but this doesnt seem to be the case when artificial bulbs are in use.
or is it possibly because of the environment thing (i usually let them bask in the backyard, more stimuli?)

and on the requirements, there has been some claims they dont because of the scales supposedly relflect UV anyway? but then again i'd rather be safe than sorry, + they seem to like it

This reminds me of the other week, when we were at a camping store, and they had a beardie displayed. I was appalled, there was no UV (and we know that beardies need it!) and only a very dim heat light at the very top of the very tall enclosure. The water was also filthy, and the poor lizard just looked miserable. :(

I feed him pellets, dog food and vegetables that I dust with powder, I had assumed this would've been providing the nutrition?

dog food should be limited as it can damage the liver and kidneys. Mine only wants to eat dog food so i have to rashion him to once a month. In order for that calcium powder you dust with to be absorbed into its little body, it needs UVA/UVB. UVB help absorbe the calcium (when combined with heat) and the UVA pramotes natural and healthy behavour. Combined, your lizard will eat better, bask more and absorbe all his calcium from his food. And poo more :)
My shingleback LOVES the canned crix and grasshoppers. He also goes nuts over canned silkworms. I hear silkworms are excellent for their health.

Might give them a run on the lawn out the front when they get a bit older I think.

Juvenile animals require a greater amount of attention to calcium and vitamin D intake as they are developing at a greater rate (growing) they require provisions that will assist them in healthy bone development. As such it is more important to provide access to natural sunlight (or artificial UV) to developing juveniles (and post lay females), instead of waiting until they are older.

So, just getting it straight in my head...... they need heat (as in warmth not neccessarily anything to do with light) for digestion and metabolism...... and uva & uvb for bone strength and general health and well being? Does that sort of sum it up in simple terms?

I'm just being overly picky (I'm not trying to correct you just provide further detail as you seem to want a deeper understanding) but Bluetongue1 touched on this in his post about diurnal lizards basking and therefore preference is given to overhead heat sources. Some lizard species (including beardies and blueys) have a parietal eye which is a photosensitive organ on the top of their head, which is primarily utilized in the lizards thermoregulatory patterns. The "third eye" can distinguish light and dark, which is why not only an overhead heat source is preferred but one that emits both heat and light so that the lizard's "third eye" is stimulated during thermoregulation. Underneath heat sources like heat rocks/mats whilst the lizard still possesses sensory receptors (it can feel) on the underside of it's body the parietal eye is not experiencing any stimulus so the lizard often isn't receiving all the relevant information necessary to thermoregulate optimally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back