Boyd's Forest Dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrBredli

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good care sheet on these guys? The only thing i can find on the net is a few sentences written by Goerdie Torr. Also if anyone is breeding them or knows of anyone who is, please let me know. Thanks!

Mr Bredli,
Look up an angle head care sheet - pretty much the same basics, Boyds can get a bit hotter and are less 'sooky'.
Initial hatchling care is the hardest - quite hardy after that - once again you have the basics sorted.
Always best to have a 'practise' with angle heads before upgrading imo - they are different from a normal dragon. It aint rocket science though - just a bit of preparation.
Cheers
Ad

mr bredli i have a good friend who has bred them the last couple of years, il ask him what his plans are this season with them if u like?

cheers Sam

Correct agree with you ad. Getting some practise with Southern Angles does help. Boyds dont like the heat but love humidity. Be careful not to cook them!
I have caresheets for Angle heads if you need them?

Im after some more Boyds myself anyone got any for sale or know of anyone???

Regards

Toad

Heres a few pointers that may help you ....
Boyd's are most active early in the morning and late afternoons...
Think rainforest when setting up a boyd's enclosure (cool and moist); whether indoors or outdoors.
Provide plenty of up right perching; which they use to ambush prey; and sleep suppended from.
A early morning water mist spaying to replacate natural conditions; as well to stimulate early morning activity.
Repeat the mist spray later in the day if need be....
Provide a small basking area at one end of the enclosure (28-30)....cooler end (22-26)....ideal day time temps for healthy growth would be (24-29) IMO. If housed outdoors, provide plenty of potted plants for them to hide in, hunt , and act as moisture retention.....Potted plants within the enclosure should provide dappled light as if one was under the rainforest canopy....plenty of natural mulch and leaflitter as enclosure substraights work best.....Feed early in the mornings after mist spraying a diet of various inscects; with vitiman suppliments provided on a regular basis (dusting etc). IMO, diet variation and well simulated rainforest conditions is the key to successful breeding....eg prey such as; Spiders, moths and earth worms are excellent food source for conditioning. Care should be taken to avoid poisonous feed items...eg brightly coloured moths etc. Wild Boyd's are often encountered on the rainforest floor just prior dark hunting for worms etc.....

Thanks for that Indicus; very helpful. What would you recommend using as a substrate?

What about no substrate? I'd worry too much about bacteria if i used mulch.

The problem with paper is it doesnt hold the cool and moisture like the mulch does.....i never had any troubles with natural rainforest type mulchs...The bought commercial types however caused real problems....eye troubles etc.
If you change the substraight (indoor setup)...eg; weekly, i dont see you having any problems.

MrB.
It does get harder the further south you get (creating humidity - temps) , I keep mine outdoors in Brisbane without a problem.
I use pine bark and leaf litter as a substrate, I mist twice a day in summer.
Indicus is the man as far as boyds go - follow his advice and you can't go wrong,
Cheers
Adam

Actually what i was thinking was having no substrate at all (no paper), with a self-contained waterfall within the enclosure and misting morning and night. What would you say to that? Would you still recommend mulch over my suggestion? Thanks for your help.

Another thing to consider; is they often spend quite a deal of time digging and hunting on the rainforest floor...all part of being a Boyd's forest dragon. It sounds great; however i'd still consider using a natural mulch.
If your worried; you may consider using a microwave to kill any nasties....i would have said the wifes microwave; however that may not be good for your health; as i've found out.... :?

Okie dokie, looks like i'll stick with the mulch then; does anyone know where there is a rainforst in Sydney? :)
I might have to take a trip up to the Blue Mountains. Thanks for your help indicus and ad, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back