Brand New Baby Darwin - Help with Hides?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonfox

Reaction score
Ok. So you all told me this would happen, and now you can all sit back and say I told you so. But I've officially developed a python addiction - and it's spread through the family :D.

My birthday coincides perfectly with the reptile expo, and today dad bought me (or bought himself, in the guise of buying for me :lol:) a little baby Darwin Carpet. I'd done the research and all, but when I went to double check temps today, the first website I hit claimed that they grew to over 4 metres! Being all of 5'2 myself, my heart fell through my shoes! A quick recheck of my research settled me down that, no, they're usually 2 to 2.5. What a relief that was! ;)

He's a little stunner - but no pics yet (since he's still in the "I am Morelia: hear me roar" stage). Anyway, I'll admit I'm a little thrown by the snappiness - regardless of its predictability - but that's only because I'm so spoiled with my puppy-tame Stimmie.

He does seem a little uncomfortable at the moment. With him being arboreal, I feel like I should really have some higher hides for him to climb into. Any suggestions? We've got a glass Reptiles Inc. terrarium. I was also thinking of one of those styrofoam backgrounds with nooks in it? I've got a flat one for my Stimmie and he loves it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Congrats,
I wouldn't say they are arboreal.
The hides are fine on the floor.
A branch up the top will do the trick.
Just remember that it's in a new environment and will be stressed.
Maybe leave it alone for a week or so.

A couple of small hides on the floor in different heat zones will be good. At this age a small light globe box will do. A branch and/or artificial vine for climbing will be popular. When he gets bigger, he'd probably appreciate a shelf for basking. My Darwins love that sort of elevated perch. Remember that he will more than double in size, so nooks in a background that may fit now, will become a nuisance later when he keeps falling out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back