bredli wont eat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tyson

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i have a bredli hatchie witch is 9 weeks old and wont eat i have tired frozen and live pinkies . he seem not intersted can anyone help

ummm maybe with it being winter colder weather wont eat, also may sound stupid but you do defrost the rats right???

yes in warm water i got him at 7 weeks hand has not eaten its been 3 weeks

Can you post a picture of your setup? What temps are you keeping him at? How many hides does he have and what are they made out of?

yeh i think mr bredli will be able to help more than i can lol, but yeh could be stressed out, mine didnt eat for about 2 weeks after i got it n she hadnt eaten for like 3 weeks before i got her so yeh just maybe stressed out

was she feeding on scented pinkies when you got her?
because they feed on skinks in the wild, its best to try and catch a garden skink and scent the pinkie with it.

There's really no need to be scenting with skinks for bredli hatchies. They should readily accept mice if their husbandry conditions are correct. Last year i had 21 out of 21 hatchies take mice at their first attempt. This year i had 16 out of 17 take mice at their first attempt, with the other waiting until its 3rd offering before accepting. Scenting with skinks also carries the risk of parasite transfer from the skink to your bredli so is best avoided.

The most likely reasons your bredli is not eating are:

Incorrect temperatures,
Insecure environment (i.e. cage is too big, or hides are too big or too open),
Too much disturbance when attempting to feed. - Try not to be seen or heard when offering food, using long forceps is a good idea so that the snake only sees/senses the mouse and not your hand.

Get those three things right and you shouldn't have a problem. Bredli are amongst the easiest snakes to get feeding as hatchies.

how many hides do i need only have one hide thanks mr bredli

You only need one but two is preferred; one in the warm end and one in the cool end. They need to be very small so they can only just squeeze into them.

How big is your enclosure?

you haven't posted ur stats yet mr bredli will be able to help you more with stats eg temps, size of enclosure, how much she is handle how much of the enclosure is heated as in heat mat 1/3 type thing these tings really help people to give advice also i had one of my new hatchie diamonds not eat i tried everything except for scenting with skinks i tried it today and she smashed the food so fast so i just left the fuzzy in with a group of skinks for a little while. it also can help if u take out all the things in the click clack when offering food so that the snake is more focused on the food. but first post ur stats.

the enclosure is one of those plastic tubs with a vented lid the size is 13 inch long 8inch wide he is being handled nealy every day half of the tank is heated. the floor has papper towel as i was told .one hide hole on the heat spot .

Stop handling him until you get him feeding. What are you using for a hide at the moment?

Have you tried leaving a dead fuzzy in the cage overnight? What is the snake's reaction when you try to feed it?

i dont mean to sound rude but what is the temperature and also do you use a thermostat he may not be eating cause its too cold for him his body temp is not high enough he maybe lathargic due to this

If you handle him to much, he will refuse to eat. My Children's python is 15 months old and it doesnt bother him if i handle him before a feed, but because your boy is only young, he may get stressed out because he is getting handle to much. Another hide, something for him to climb on and somewhere for him to bask would do him the world of good.

i have tried leaveing a fuzzy over overnight and he has no interest at all like he dose not know what to do with it

i am not useing a thermostat what kind is the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back