Breeding Advice/Discussion for Darwin Carpets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razzeldazzel

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a 3yo female 100% het Darwin and intend to breed her this season. I have not bred before and would like some wisdom. I have been "cooling" for the past month or so by providing heating 12 hours of the day while trying to source a male albino from a friend. I potentially will have the male in the next week or so. I have done lots of research and generally know the answers to my questions, but often I'm reading from overseas sources. I'd like to hear from more local breeders who can give me advice for my situation. I will list a few specific questions below, maybe quote the question number when you answer...

1. I've been told by some that minimum female weight is 700g and others that 1000g is minimum. She weighs around 850g. Thoughts?
2. Male is approximately 2 years old, yet to know what size (however owner feeds well) - he should be good to go?
3. Does the male have to be cooled to produce viable sperm?
4. Is cooling critical itself? I know of people that have bred without cooling at all.
5. Should I be introducing the male during the cooling stage? Or as I start to provide heat 18-24hours/day?
6. Should I feed my female before introducing the male?
7. Can anyone who has successfully bred Darwins give me any dates of the year that are important for each part of the breeding season?
8. Does every female of the right age/size produce follicles? How can I tell if my female has?
9. How do you know if you have missed the window of opportunity to introduce the male?
10. Is it ok if I handle the female during the cooling period before introducing the male?

I'm sure I will think of more questions, but it would be great to get this discussion going! Thanks in advance for any answers.

Cooling usually involves dropping the hours from 12 hours of heat to 8 hours.
Minimum weight is generally over 2kgs for females.

1. probably wont breed for you being 850g. If she was a jungle carpet you MIGHT be able to get a clutch from her but being a darwin i doubt it. 1.8kg seems to be the minimum for darwin females.
2. Male sounds small but it depends how much he has been fed i presume 1kg for a male would work but depends, one male might breed a 1kg another might not untill 1.5..
3. no but most people still do including myself.
4.no its not critical but for the best results simulating what they would experience in the wild is recommended
5. stick the male in any chance you get leave it a few days then seperate for a few days etc.
6. no
7. You are abit late this season, darwins normally breed in june and july only occasionally in autumn. Id suggest getting size on both the male and female and trying again in a year or two.
8. not an expert on this one. If a female is big enough to produce follicles she will more then likely have a clutch weather this clutch is fertile is another thing.
9. They will not breed.
10. Yes try to support the middle of the female.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back