Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I still classify myself as just an owner with snakes, I am looking into informaiton and asking questions to help aid the care and husbandry of my animals. Some of my purchases have been selective, some have not. I'm already preparing myself for any future breeding by getting the right equipment and such for any projects, but right now my collection of animals is a mixed one with an assortment of some ideas here and there for possible projects, but nothing solid. I have 2 or 3 females almost at breeding age yet I have no males for them, i.e. My Wenlock Jungle, HY Diamond and semi striped Coastal, because I cannot find the right males for them, or have not as yet or may never do so.

If I am wanting to experiment and learn, I may have to cross them with my first male at breeding age which will be an SXR Gammon intergrade. Many will disagree about it. Most probably will not buy the crosses. Am I wanting to do it for the money? No. So how else am I going to get experience? Wait 30 years to find the perfect pure mates for my females? I doubt it. The only way I see myself learning is getting hands on experience in the hobby, possibly ending up with animals, as I said, that no one would possibly want. Seriously I don't know anyone who would want a Gammon crossed with one of the three females I have anyway.

But its not my intention to flood any markets with less quality animals, i.e. crosses (some though are very good quality and very pretty animals), there are others out there like me, novices and pros alike who experiment and learn and the market ends up with all sorts of things, not just pures. I reckon that in the end we can only blame ourselves there for the love of the hobby. But then that does not explain the snake farmers who are just breeding for the money and not the love of the hobby.

Pretty sure the snake will behave like a snake regardless of how much it cost.
The more snakes on the market, the more people can experience the pleasure of owning one.
Unfortunately some that remain unwanted will be culled, this already occurs in the industry anyway.
Also some owners will put little effort into their "new pet" because they see it as little worth, this also occurs already.

Even though I still classify myself as just an owner with snakes, I am looking into informaiton and asking questions to help aid the care and husbandry of my animals. Some of my purchases have been selective, some have not. I'm already preparing myself for any future breeding by getting the right equipment and such for any projects, but right now my collection of animals is a mixed one with an assortment of some ideas here and there for possible projects, but nothing solid. I have 2 or 3 females almost at breeding age yet I have no males for them, i.e. My Wenlock Jungle, HY Diamond and semi striped Coastal, because I cannot find the right males for them, or have not as yet or may never do so.

If I am wanting to experiment and learn, I may have to cross them with my first male at breeding age which will be an SXR Gammon intergrade. Many will disagree about it. Most probably will not buy the crosses. Am I wanting to do it for the money? No. So how else am I going to get experience? Wait 30 years to find the perfect pure mates for my females? I doubt it. The only way I see myself learning is getting hands on experience in the hobby, possibly ending up with animals, as I said, that no one would possibly want. Seriously I don't know anyone who would want a Gammon crossed with one of the three females I have anyway.

But its not my intention to flood any markets with less quality animals, i.e. crosses (some though are very good quality and very pretty animals), there are others out there like me, novices and pros alike who experiment and learn and the market ends up with all sorts of things, not just pures. I reckon that in the end we can only blame ourselves there for the love of the hobby. But then that does not explain the snake farmers who are just breeding for the money and not the love of the hobby.

By Gammon Ranges integrade do you mean Gammon Ranges carpet that they can't decide whether to classify as imbricata or Murray Darling, if so why on earth would you cross it with any of your other snakes. It is considered a conservation species due to it's extremely limited wild range. I have a trio of them and they are beautiful snakes, please don't cross them, that is not learning amd you yourself have already said no-one will want them so what will you do with these crosses, How hard can it be to get pure mates for the females you have mentioned it is not like any of them are rare? Throwing 2 different species of snake together just for the hands on experience is just irresponsible.

At least someone who breeds for money generaly wisely chooses there breeding stock and creates offpsring that can be moved on. Much better then pumping out dozens of mongrels with no forethought just for the 'experience'

At least someone who breeds for money generaly wisely chooses there breeding stock and creates offpsring that can be moved on. Much better then pumping out dozens of mongrels with no forethought just for the 'experience'
Never said I was actually going to do anything you know, those are just ideas. Ideas can be changes or evolved. People who breed for money shouldn't even be allowed to have the animals. Not all of them are wise and nor can you prove it either.

Never said I was actually going to do anything you know, those are just ideas. Ideas can be changes or evolved. People who breed for money shouldn't even be allowed to have the animals. Not all of them are wise and nor can you prove it either.

Oh please, stop playing innocent. One of your very first post on APS was about you and your friend wanting to start a snake breeding business, the aim of a business is to make money.

Why shouldn't they be allowed to have the animals? And I never said they are all wise...... but if they are making money they are likely wisely chose which species and specimens to work with and not crossing anything just for the hell of it.....

I didn't mean to have a go at you JP2, was annoyed by something else and that annoyance creeped into my post, but those annoyances have been reported for harrassing others now so I'm fine.

I just don't see breeding animals for money as something anyone should do. Not so much talking about snakes here, moreso talking about puppy and kitten farms. Breed for the pleasure of seeing beautiful offspring that you can share with others is something better to do I reckon

I didn't mean to have a go at you JP2, was annoyed by something else and that annoyance creeped into my post, but those annoyances have been reported for harrassing others now so I'm fine.

I just don't see breeding animals for money as something anyone should do. Not so much talking about snakes here, moreso talking about puppy and kitten farms. Breed for the pleasure of seeing beautiful offspring that you can share with others is something better to do I reckon

If you want to create beautiful offspring that you can share, you are better to think hard and be selective with your pairings rather then put a male over everything you have just because you can. Trust me it is hard enough to move quality pure stock at the moment (take a look at all the quality animals in the for sale section at the moment that are worth less then the rats they would have consumed and still wont sell)

You will struggle to give away average looking crosses and no one in there right mind will want to look after dozens of carpets they can't move.

People who breed for money shouldn't even be allowed to have the animals. Not all of them are wise and nor can you prove it either.

Congratulations that is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on APS. That is saying a lot BTW

If you want to create beautiful offspring that you can share, you are better to think hard and be selective with your pairings rather then put a male over everything you have just because you can. Trust me it is hard enough to move quality pure stock at the moment (take a look at all the quality animals in the for sale section at the moment that are worth less then the rats they would have consumed and still wont sell)

You will struggle to give away average looking crosses and no one in there right mind will want to look after dozens of carpets they can't move.
Yeah I know, thats why I am throwing around ideas about what I could do, I won't mean I will do it. Ideas are just that, ideas, they are meant to be thrown around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back