Breeding Tree Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

syeph8

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Has anybody on this site had any success in breeding Common Tree Snakes, Brown Tree Snakes, Northern Tree Snakes?

I am under the impression that no-one has had any live offspring of CTS or NTS pairings in Vic. But that there are people who have bred BTS with small success.

on another thread, someone claimed that many people have success with them and they are not hard to breed, is this in their native habitat in outdoor enclosures? or is this in a much cooler climate where they are kept indoors? or was this person just flapping their gums and had no idea what they were talking about?

I am very interested in breeding tree snakes and any information from someone who has had success or tried and failed (so I know what went right and what went wrong) would be more than appreciated.

Also I would like to know if you know of anybody who has actually successfully bred BTS, CTS and/or NTS in Vic. Because all I hear is people saying friend of a friend has success every year, and we all know where those stories end up.

Ta

Sye

My hatchy BTS that I bred , only one out of 3 eggs layed that hatched.

Going great now @ 4 months old.
I had to start it feeding on hatchy finches before it would take Mice. Now eats anything I offer.BTS hatchy.jpg

he is gorgeous isn't he? never heard of feeding hatchie finches before... will have to keep that information stored somewhere safe in my noggin.

he is gorgeous isn't he? never heard of feeding hatchie finches before... will have to keep that information stored somewhere safe in my noggin.

They eat birds in the wild so..... I bred finchs a few months before I got eggs just incase they diden't like pinky mice ;)

ur an ideas man steve... paul.
From what i can remember about finches, they arent incredibly cheap, how long before you got him onto pinky mice?

Zebra finches are $2 each.
3 feeds of frozen finches and then on mice sented with finch feathers.

I feel sad that I might have to put my BTS down after the 4yrs I've had him. It is resultant of some weird degenerative spinal problem (possibly a cancer) that is crippling him to the point that I've got to make the call and do the right thing. My suggestion to people thinking about obtaining a brown tree snake (or similar) is go for it! They are a remarkable snake, and well worth the time in keeping!

I feel sad that I might have to put my BTS down after the 4yrs I've had him. It is resultant of some weird degenerative spinal problem (possibly a cancer) that is crippling him to the point that I've got to make the call and do the right thing. My suggestion to people thinking about obtaining a brown tree snake (or similar) is go for it! They are a remarkable snake, and well worth the time in keeping!

sorry to hear mate, captive bred? by someone down south?
i only just realised you were in SE Melb moose, what suburb? (if you dont mind me asking)

I'm in Nunawading (near Mitcham). Yes, captive bred from a current Melbourne Zoo reptile keeper/enthusiast. He has always been a superb example of a Brown tree and never once displayed the rotten aggro reputation that seems to precede these amazing creatures! It’ll be a sad day when I have to go through with what I’m planning to do. He’s a most valued member of my brood :(

hi syeph8. dont know too many tree snake breeders in VIC. but know of a couple up here in queensland. one guy i bought my female scrubby off a few years ago bred GTS and night tigers. he had heaps of babies when i was there. he told me he started most of the hatchies on garden skinks or guppies. cant remember his name but he was on the sunshine coast. he was charging $600 ea for them hence why i didnt get any.

hi syeph8. dont know too many tree snake breeders in VIC. but know of a couple up here in queensland. one guy i bought my female scrubby off a few years ago bred GTS and night tigers. he had heaps of babies when i was there. he told me he started most of the hatchies on garden skinks or guppies. cant remember his name but he was on the sunshine coast. he was charging $600 ea for them hence why i didnt get any.

Thanks for the reply snakeman.
$600 sounds fair enough...

I bred trees Dendrelaphis in vic....i also know a few people that bred stegonotus and boiga as well

Cheers,
Scott

it is incredibly hard to find any information on dendrelaphis (the only species i have really tried researching out of the above three, seein as it the only species i own) any information you could send me on your husbandry relating to breeding and incubation would be very welcome. I generally keep my gadient 23 to 30 and was told they do like it a bit cooler than pythons. This seems to be the case. They tend to favour 24 degree areas. they arent going to be ready for breeding for another couple of years but i would like to know i am getting them ready the best i can and know what im doing when the time comes.
If there is anything you think i would benefit reading from or any advice whatsoever, i would appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back