Breeding woodies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just make a mix of dry dog food, oats and fish flakes and give fruit and veggies (apple, corn, cabbage, celery etc) every now and then. I also put in water crystals for a constant water source. I use little ceramic dishes to put the food and water crystals in.

dont know what temps exactly kill them, but i brought mine in a few weeks ago after pulling out a full 4L icecream container of dead ones,..so whatever the temps in sydney were a month ago kills them. my herp room stays between 21 and 23 and theyre doing fine again.

they only stink if the egg cartons are damp, so use mainly dry food and not too much veg, as in veg that gets eaten within a few hours every second day.

some people use a container fo water with a slot cut in and fabric as a wick so they can drink.

ive never bothered heating mine but i do buy a kilo or 2 per year to top up the tubs.

Thanks a lot guys, i know how to breed now task one complete, now on to the hard task... convinsing mum the woodies cant escape and are fine lol. She hates them, gonna be a hard one but ill get around eventually.....

Hopefully mine will take off with no probs!

Ive put the tub ontop of one of my enclosures, the CHE makes the top of it warm so fingers crossed it will be a good temp for them.

My old girl is exactly the same.. Well she used to be, loves the beardies now and has gotten over their "live feeders" lol

Goodluck!

they wont go over a thin rim of vaseline, but for peace of mind for ur mum, cut most of the top of the lid away and replace it with flyscreen,...as well as the vaso so they dont come flooding otu when u remove the lid,...

if she doesnt like it she cant say no since she's making u breed ur own food under the threat of having to give up ur critters,..

There is a pretty detailed care sheet on how to breed Feeder Roaches, AKA woodies.

Even though Brian is not supplying SFR's currently he still stocks the Fluon - pretty much vital in my opinion.

dont know what temps exactly kill them, but i brought mine in a few weeks ago after pulling out a full 4L icecream container of dead ones,..so whatever the temps in sydney were a month ago kills them. my herp room stays between 21 and 23 and theyre doing fine again.

they only stink if the egg cartons are damp, so use mainly dry food and not too much veg, as in veg that gets eaten within a few hours every second day.

some people use a container fo water with a slot cut in and fabric as a wick so they can drink.

ive never bothered heating mine but i do buy a kilo or 2 per year to top up the tubs.
Those temps are a bit low, Iv had my colony going for a year and I only have been really producing any decent amounts since i added heating, previously I also kept them at ambient herp room temps similar to yours.

A good way Iv found to keep them hydrated is by getting a lantern wick from Bunnings and running it out of an airtight container full of water, then just trim the wick when it gets dirty.
For food I either give them cat biscuits or crushed rodent pellets, the rodent pellets they seem to prefer, I also chuck in the odd vegies but not too much as they can make it smell a bit and create mould issues.

One bit of advice I wish I had listened to was not to use vaseline, its ok until your colony gets to a decent temp and then it starts to run down the walls and creates a sticky mess, you can stop this by keeping the temps below 25 but then you will not produce many woodies and you will quickly run out.
Fluon on the other hand seems is ideal

I provide carrot, broccoli stalk or other firm vegetable for moisture. Sometimes they will get the odd bit of fruit that has past its human consumption use by date but they are not fond of citrus.

For dry food they mostly get the dust left at the bottom of the bag of GR2 rodent pellets. The sometimes get dried up bits of what the lizards don't eat.

lol Geckoman, by 'doing ok' i meant no longer dying and theyre eating and shedding again, most of the adults ended up in the 4l icecream container of dead ones and i have no idea if the few remaining ones are breeding.

i hated fluon, the roaches walked straight over it, and the vaseline needs to be really thin otherwise they walk straight over that too, (and yes it runs)

ive used olive oil when i couldnt find the vaseline before, that worked too.

I use silicon spray instead of fluon.

I also put the silicon spray in the glass tracks to make the glass slide oh-so-easy.

lol Geckoman, by 'doing ok' i meant no longer dying and theyre eating and shedding again, most of the adults ended up in the 4l icecream container of dead ones and i have no idea if the few remaining ones are breeding.

i hated fluon, the roaches walked straight over it, and the vaseline needs to be really thin otherwise they walk straight over that too, (and yes it runs)

ive used olive oil when i couldnt find the vaseline before, that worked too.
Thats weird, maybe you didnt put the fluon on thick enough, its always worked really well for me on vertical surfaces

Fluon rocks. I've got roaches in the ackie enclosure trapped in a 4cm high plastic tub. It rocks.

So i thought id take some pics of my new woodies tub, lol.
There are alot more in there then it seems,well really only 5-6 tubs full and are all under the cartons.

Does this look ok? lol I dont think it needs to be setup in any particular way, but yeah lol.

063.jpg

064.jpg

Cheers guys,

Looks good, one thing id thought id point out is that if you want to utilize more space then stand up the egg cartons vertically in rows and use flat pieces of cardboard as dividers

Ahh.. What a great idea! lol
Think i may try that out.. thanks gex

Your tubs looks exactly like mine ;-) I tend to use toilet rolls instead of egg cartons because of the way the stack and the ease of shaking the SFR's out etc.
So i thought id take some pics of my new woodies tub, lol.
There are alot more in there then it seems,well really only 5-6 tubs full and are all under the cartons.

Does this look ok? lol I dont think it needs to be setup in any particular way, but yeah lol.

063.jpg

064.jpg

Cheers guys,

I have used silicone spray, vasaline and fluon and fluon wins hands down!
I use silicon spray instead of fluon.

I also put the silicon spray in the glass tracks to make the glass slide oh-so-easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back