Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rikkiv5

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm about to breed my snakes but my question is do the male and female need to be separated and just put together over the mating season? Or can I leave them together all the time?

there is a risk they may fight and hurt each other or even kill each other and since you don't seem to be sure about this i'd recomend only introducing at breeding time.

i do keep snakes together but i closley supervised them wen introducing and never feed them together.

I know not to feed them together. I just am expanding my collection to a lot bigger snakes so I was hoping I could keep them together. My mates have black headed pythons and jungles and they are together all year but I didn't want there to be a big risk. I have coastals, spotted pythons and black headed pythons and getting albino olives and hopefully a few albinos.

BHP's together :shock: That's one way to spell disaster....

Personally I wouldn't put them together 24/7....too many risks IMO. I'd only put the together for breeding....but eh, everyone has an opinion of their own ;)

- - - Updated - - -

(Oh, 2nd part wasn't about BHP's...all snakes in general :p)

there is always risks no matter what with any animal/ reptile for that matter. i do keep reptiles together - childreni, coastals, blackheads, bredlis, diamonds, darwins, water pythons. but i do take a risk and have done so for years with out any problems but other people have encounted problems and needed to separate.

i will be splitting up some pairs/ trios up as i just bought 6 multi bay enclosures with a total of 17 bays plus 4 hatchy racks. but only cause i have alot more space now, they get on well and have done so for years.

just put them in together for breeding till you are 100% sure there are no problems, enclosure must be very large and separate hides ect for full time living togather

Agreed, I would only put them together while mating, under close supervision.
As Saintanger said, any snake/monitor/lizard has the potential to look at it's mate and think, mmmm you look tasty. reptiles are opportunistic and personally I love my reptiles to much to keep them together 24/7 especially snakes.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back