Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_Boy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i am just wondering if i bred a central beardie and an eastie nearded dragon would hte babies b fertile?

that is what i could find and what i got would the babies b fertile or not?

lol i could only understand the last bit

They would be fertile but don't do it, no one will want the hybrids.

you sure, i know of alot of hybrids arnt fertile, well tghats with different sp not just diff sub sp

Not worth the hassle mate because you won't be able to sell them due to them being hybrids, you would be better off pairing up what you already have, with the same species of course;)

Yes they would be fertile, no problem but I agree there isn't much point really. You would be able to sell them but I wouldn't do it.

Not even sure on how you would be able to have them under the licensing system.

In NSW u can breed and sell hybrids like easternXcentral and blotch blueyXeastern bluey as they have there own species numbers. here is a list of reckonised hybrids
Hoplocephalus bitorquatus x H. stephensii Pale-headed X Stephen's Banded Snake hybrid X2001
Antaresia childreni X A. maculosus Children's/Eastern Small-blotched Python hybrid X2002
Pogona barbata X P. vitticeps Eastern / Central Bearded Dragon hybrid X2003
Morelia spilota spilota X M.s. bredli Diamond / Centralian Carpet Python hybrid X2005
Morelia spilota mcdowelli X M.s. cheynei Coastal / Jungle Carpet Python hybrid X2007
Tiliqua scincoides X T. nigrolutea Eastern / Blotched Bluetongue hybrid X2008
Antaresia childreni X A stimsoni Children's / Stimson's Python hybrid X2009
Morelia spilota spilota X M.s. cheynei Diamond / Jungle Python hybrid X2010
there may be more that i dont no of. i thought hybrid reptiles couldn't breed (sterile) like hybrid mammals like a mule. if they can breed wouldn't they be a new species or are different reptile species in the genus not so different.

cheers Aaron

Last edited:
Thats interesting with the NSW laws, is there something similar in Vic or is it outlawed as I don't recall seeing any hybrid codes down here?

They are not new species more that the parent species are not all that different and can produce fertile young.

wouldn't that mean that the parent species were really the same species (like eastern and centrals be the same species) because the definition of a species is a distinct group of organisms that can interbreed and produce fertile offspring. another definition is, a group of related organisms that share a more or less distinctive form and are capable of interbreeding. and another definition is, groups of actually or potentially interbreeding natural populations which are reproductively isolated from other such groups. so going by definition if an eastern bearded dragon can reproduce fertile offspring with a central bearded dragon then they are the same species. arent reptiles interesting lol

cheers Aaron

wouldn't that mean that the parent species were really the same species (like eastern and centrals be the same species) because the definition of a species is a distinct group of organisms that can interbreed and produce fertile offspring. another definition is, a group of related organisms that share a more or less distinctive form and are capable of interbreeding. and another definition is, groups of actually or potentially interbreeding natural populations which are reproductively isolated from other such groups. so going by definition if an eastern bearded dragon can reproduce fertile offspring with a central bearded dragon then they are the same species. arent reptiles interesting lol

cheers Aaron

Depends on the definition of species used I suppose. You could argue that the two don't share a distinctive form as there are differences b/w the two species. Which going by your second defintion would mean they are seperate species.

true. its all a bit weird but i have been reading into it a bit more and foung that other no reptile hybrids can breed like the female liger. thank u junglepython2 for ur help in clearing up this subject and sorry once again to reptile_boy for hi-jacking ur thread.

cheers Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back