Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CassieT

Reaction score
Hi all :)
I am new here.
I am looking at breeding some pythons. I am unsure as yet to what type of python to breed.
I am looking at breeding some kind of python that will sell rather easy but also want a good natured snake.
I will be raising it from young as well.
Any help would be great!

You are doing the right thing by asking questions. Firstly I think that you should as you stated get young snakes to start with and learn how to look after a snake first and do plenty of reading about breeding because it isn't always as simple as throwing them together and hoping for the best. Maybe by a book called "Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons" by Mike Swan. Another place to start is reading the articles by Doc Rock at Southern Cross Reptiles on this link.

Reptile Husbandry Articles by Southern Cross Reptiles

I would also recommend buying the best looking breeding stock that you can, two nice looking snakes have a better chance of producing a nice looking snake than two plain ones.

Green tree pythons, albino olive pythons.:rolleyes:

Honestly though pick what you like the look of, if you don't know what you're doing you won't have babies for awhile.

I hope not Cptlici! I am just asking...but thanks for the warning!
Thanks andynic07 :)
(i should have added) At this stage i am only considering it and chances are it might not even happen as i am more after a pet, just thought it might be good to have any an option.

While there is nothing wrong with having an interest in breeding, however I would never recommend someone buy an animal because its offspring will sell well.

There are quite a few snake SPECIES that I would recommend for a first PET. Bredli, Murray darlings, Coastals, gammon ranges, darwins if you are interested in carpet pythons. Spotteds, childrens and Stimson if you are interested in antaresia. Womas are interested in aspidites.

You say you want young ones well hatchlings become available for all of the above species from November onwards. It will be three years before the female will be able to breed.

You may be disappointed to know that you will not get rich off breeding a pair of pythons and will take a few breeding seasons to even break even. There is no pot of gold at the end of that rainbow.

I hope not Cptlici! I am just asking...but thanks for the warning!
Thanks andynic07 :)
(i should have added) At this stage i am only considering it and chances are it might not even happen as i am more after a pet, just thought it might be good to have any an option.

Perhaps my first comment will make them think twice before jumping on you ;)
But seriously, lots of people here are very vocal about how much they disapprove of people who buy snakes and try to breed them straight away. Good luck :)

Thanks very much RedFox!
The nature is most important to me :) although naturally like most do like a good looking snake.
I wasnt at all wanting to breed to make money, more so to just have the little ones around but at the same time dont know if i would be able to have enough enclosures for them all so didnt want to be caught.
I think i might just stick to my first plan and just get one as a pet...breeding was just a thought that crossed through my mind and thought i would ask a question :)
Thanks everyone for all your help so far but i think i will just stick to my pets and leave breeding the little ones to the pros :)

haha Thanks CptLici :)
Im sure some would be, but at the same time they obviously have a love for it and a passion but then again that is no reason to be nasty and i would hope they would be willing to just give advice and point in the right direction and not point them away from snakes all together!

Sorry to waste everyones time with this post!
Im unsure how to remove it so admin feed free if you like :)
Thanks again to all who helped answer questions!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it should be removed and it wasn't a waste of time. Unlike most people who come on here, you stayed calm and understanding even when you may not have got the responses you wanted to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back