Brick or bang!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
greg is that 100% kill instantly because i would like to try this procedure but if it didnt kill it instantly and there was bits all over the place still moving around that had to be killed again individually by the same method and then fed to your snake bit by bit it would waste too much of my time.

and i also think it would be messy and look bad and if the peices didnt die the second time round and i had to do it again it would waste even more of my time.

OH yea .357 a very powerful I once shot out a pigs eye :O

Ok One from left field.

I've got a rat/mouse trap called a rat zapper. It's a long plastic box that has a metal plates inside. You put some dried cat food up one end and when the rat (or mouse) wanders in he's instantly zapped dead. No burning no smell no blood and instant. I know it's instant because as soon as it fires the electronics in the unit shut of the power and I know it works. How about this method for those of you that want to be humane - whatever that actually is. I think humane just means that it makes humans feel like they are doing the right thing. The rat / mouse still has to die - poor little sod. Still if we want our snakes and lizards then what can you do.

G

One can actually buy electric zappers in Europe and USA, for self-defence, but they are illegal here.
Shame, hat probably would do the trick too. :twisted:

One of my recent culls was of 180 rats, I'd hate to wait for them all to "wander in" :) Sounds like a great method for killing just a couple though. Any chance of a pic of the workings of this device? I would like to try and manufacture a hand held one so any pics or specifications you could give would be just great :)

A big thing that holds roughly 100 mice and turn the gass on its the propper way they do it and when there dead it looks like there still alive sometimes but for pinkies freeze em alive they dont breathe vcery much so they die and thats how its don No broken bones so the snakes find it easier or something and its good for doing alolt at once if in gust killing one or two put gour thumb and pointer between there head and there front legs and squeezt there there skull disconnects from there backbone and its like squeeze die straight away.

Just think of one thing.................. How much of a pinkie mouse, rat or any other rodents' body comprises of water? OK, so how can it possibly be painless for that amount of water to slowly ice crystalise in the animals body? Killing by freezer? Cruel!

like germantetrauk said... how can freezing them be humane?? i don't think any method of killing could be called humane... its still killing isn't it?

Carbon monoxide is probably not the best as it is still measurable even in dead bodies (I have measured it) and the effect on snakes is not really known.
Freezing to death is probably not that bad african. Your heart stops at about 25 degrees core temperature (no where near freezing) so thats probably not a major issue.
The most humane way of killing rodents is probably carbon dioxide and is safe for the snake (they get rid of the excess carbon dioxide by breathing it out.) Appart from that a sudden hit to the head or high broken neck are probably the next best methods.

Cheers Hawkeye

Sorry ppl - been busy - but for those that are interested in a Rat Zapper they are available in Australia and they can be found at
http://www.ratzapper.com.au/

I bought one as I need to keep the rats down around the Barn and didn't want to use poison (don't want the Snakes and Kookaburras to suffer).

G :roll:

That's pretty nifty Graham, didn' think a gadget like that existed. :shock: :)

Would they be of much use to large scale rat breeders because of their size??

Thatr is a good idea but i am not going to spoend over a $100 dollars when i can wack em at a brick wall for free

i watched a video at tafe today on the proper handling on rats and it had a segment on euthinasia for em too, the proper methods were, (i couldnt beleive this one) swinging them by the tail, gassin em, or putting your thumb n finger on the back of their necks and pushing down, these all constitute (as per protection of cruelty to animals) as a safe and humane way to kill rats, freezing was actually classed as cruel, (they never use green dream because its a waste)

Anything is humane when killing cats :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back