Brick or bang!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
YEah i agree with afric all the way, I have 1 cat that has produced over 25 kttens in 2 years. And i sold them at $30 each so you do the math. My cats are beautiful creatures with amazing personalities. But you are aloud to have your oppinion.

ps: my cats are pets and are not used purposley for breeding just dont want to bother to get her desexed

My family bred cats when I was younger, avg of 20 kittens at 350 dollars each for each of our 3 female cats :D. And i still have cats today, they do have personalities but kill native widlife and you cant really say Bells work cause it has been proven that it doesn't, and that is why I hate cats, I dont mind cats that sit inside all day though :D

Stevethepom said:
i watched a video at tafe today on the proper handling on rats and it had a segment on euthinasia for em too, the proper methods were, (i couldnt beleive this one) swinging them by the tail, gassin em, or putting your thumb n finger on the back of their necks and pushing down, these all constitute (as per protection of cruelty to animals) as a safe and humane way to kill rats, freezing was actually classed as cruel, (they never use green dream because its a waste)

We use "the green dream" aka leuthabarb the euth rats..although the fastest way to kill them is to inject it into the heart, You have no idea how hard that is! we normally inject into the chest cavity but then they drown in it normally before its had a chance to be absorbed into the blood stream..seems a little cruel to me.

I don't see what all the fuss is about, just whack em against a brick or hit on the head with something, surely they can't feel to much,they die pretty quick.

I kill mice, rat pups and mouse pinkies by throwing them onto concrete floor and have never had a bleeder. I use and always have used the swing method for the rats.
With larger animals like guinea pig and rabbits, I place them in a slip and drown them, same with quails, finches and chickens.

to kill rats etc

Hi all, very interesting stuff, unless your a rat!lol I bought 50 rats recently and the guy told me he uses dry ice! apparently you add water, the ice evaporates nd the gas? rises into your kill trap and the rat carkes it in seconds. can this be right? has anyone heard of it? ~Danno p.s. i usesd to euthanise hundreds of dogs/cats and other animals every week with greendream, it was made up in 20 litre barrels, its cheap but i wouldnt feed anything killed with it to my snake! I reckon the best way is to make sure the snake is very hungry and let him/her kill the damn thing!

Dry ice is CO2. As it evaporates (changes from solid to gas), the gas spills off and micey go to sleep. One note, CO2 sinks, not rises. Water is just to rapidly warm dry ice to make state change faster.

Have used dry ice in the past.I doesnt kill in seconds but as Al said all it is is C02.It is also very expensive to purchase.I got hold of some cause there is a place near me that makes the stuff so I thought I would give it a try.
The cheapest way of making C02 is by pouring vinegar onto baking soda.Havent used it yet but am looking at a way to do it soon.

cheers M......

lol rather fill a rat up with vinegar and baking soda and shake it up :p

In all seriousness, the cheapest way to get CO2 is in cylinders from welding supply outlets. Gas is super cheap, it's just the cylinder that'll cost you. However, most places will let you use tank for free, if you refill gas there (will probably charge a deposit, or at least require a CC authorization). 10 pound (of gas in liquid form) tank cost me $6 to fill, and would probably last me 5 years if I was just gasing rats and mice.

I might add that this is not only cheapest, but I would say most conveniant way to gas critters. Just take a bucket and put as many mice, rats, rabbits, cats, etc. as you want in there. Hook a hose up to tank, and crack valve for 2 or 3 secs. You won't even need lid, as first breath or two, and they'll be dead asleep. Few more breaths and they don't wake up.

Or you can just stick the rats in a large plastic bag and fill it up with CO2. Worked for me :)

gas

Do think, this will work too?

Attachments

• gas.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 101
Yep

Spot on, Al. That's the way I've done it in the past (gotta get some more, as I've run out). No mess, no fuss. :lol:

:lol: Na, definitely no competion for Steve, my little bottom is much cuter than this one, and I would never show it here. Just came accross that picture on the net and thought it would fit in with our previous posts he he he. I know it's a bit gross and I got into trouble from wifey already. Feel free to delete it any time, :wink: administrators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back