Bringing home a water python today

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakewoman

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This was another unexpected buy... usually happens that way! I'd just gone into the shop to buy a hide for one of my snakes, and saw that they had a water python... it said on the front of the tank that it was sold, so I didn't worry about it. I then started talking to one of the staff members, and he told me that it was actually not sold (they must have forgot to wipe off the sold sign from the last snake that was there)

This was the first time I'd actually seen a water python in the flesh, and I'd heard a few people say that they had bad temperaments, but this girl doesn't. She's a young one, once out of the tank she was fine, a bit flighty to start off with, but settled quickly. I'd been considering getting a water a few months back, but bought an olive instead (that was unplanned to, and from the same shop :rolleyes:)

I'm picking her up this afternoon, so pics will be coming later :D This is snake number 6 for me... once upon a time I said I only wanted one :rolleyes:

lol, you need to stay away from petshops!! :p

grats on the new purchase, looking forward to pics!

(ps, i once said that 2 beardies and 1 snake were enough for me and that people with over 20 critters were nuts,....)
things change! :p

Congrats,

Water pythons are either gentle giants are pysicotic lunatics :p

I have both haha,

Oh but Chris its so much more fun being nuts and owning over 20 reptiles :p

lol scorps, the new rule is over 50 reptiles and ur nuts, otherwise i crossed the nutty border a few critters ago,... :p

Congrats,

Water pythons are either gentle giants are pysicotic lunatics :p

I have both haha,

Oh but Chris its so much more fun being nuts and owning over 20 reptiles :p

I can't agree more. I have just got my first 2 water pythons, one is as gentle as can be and the other one tries to get me through the glass lol
My other pythons are all as placid as anything, so this one has been a bit of a change and a challenge lol
They are beautiful though

I've heard that waters can be psycho, so that put me off for a while. This one will try to bite while in the tank, and when you first get her out she's flighty, but after a few seconds she calms down and starts being inquisitive. She keeps trying to climb up on my shoulder :D When I put her in her tub and closed the lid, the first thing she did was go to her water and have a big drink. After that she got in there and swam around for ages. Living up to the name! After that I thawed out a pinky rat for her, which she grabbed very quickly. She happily ate it and is now sleeping in her little light globe box :) Here are the pics I promised:

Attachments

• Water.jpg
    Water.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Water2.jpg
    Water2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Water5.jpg
    Water5.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Water8.jpg
    Water8.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 84
lol scorps, the new rule is over 50 reptiles and ur nuts, otherwise i crossed the nutty border a few critters ago,... :p

Haha I better slow down or Ill be really nuts :p

My main problem is space, just redect out the herp room to make it more space convieniant so should fit a few more :p

I have two waters and still have to hook them out of their tub ..once out I have about a 70% chance that I wont get tagged ..but if I try and just lift em out without a hook its 100% no mucking around tagged ...love them they are a gorgeous snake ,great feeding response too ..I also give them a bigger water container then the others ,as they seem to be in it alot more ...

This one will certainly bite you in the tank hehe. I was quite happy that mine ate something, I'd only just brought her home. I love snakes who eat their food! I gave my girl a bigger container than what the other babies had, and she loves to swim. The guy at the pet shop said he always saw her swimming. When my MD was really young he loved to go for a swim in his dish almost every night. Haven't seen him do that for a while, and he's almost 2 years old now... that went quick, he was 7 months when I got him. I'm glad snakes are easy to look after, otherwise I'd be in trouble :D

Congrats, def an underated species. and yeps like any snake, all have a different personalities. We have found their temper to also be food related to a degree. We have a few and the largest is a 9YO male and he is 7ft so quite large for a water python. When he feels he is being fed enough is the most placid snake we have. When he feels he is not being fed as often as he should then he is not so placid! Generally he is very calm, inquisitive and one of our favourites.

Even the wild ones, in some areas they are very docile and it other places they bite you when you look at them. That's one species I would love to keep in an outdoor enclosure with a natural pond, reeds, logs, plenty of sunshine and all that. But I may go for white-lips instead, they love water too.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I like them is because they're a bit smaller than others... lengthwise anyway :D an outdoor enclosure would be awesome whatever you decide to put in it... just make sure you put up pics if you do it. We like to look at people's stuff and feel jealous ;)

Congrats on buying a beautiful snake.

Water Rat I would love to get my hands also on the white lipped but have heard its almost impossible.
Can it be done and will you be the man to finally house and breed one of Australias most underated pythons? hope so.

P.s not stealing the thread, really is a beautiful snake and am glad she has a good temprement.

I wouldn't say white-lips are underrated. I thought it's the opposite.

Each to their own, A feisty unpredictable yet virtually unknown in Australian collections and uncommonly mentioned species seems to me quite underated.

Well come on Waterat any little info you would like to share?

We all know Americans have their share in collections but what about the sub species Albertsii (check spelling)

It's not a sub-species, albertisii is the species name: Liasis albertisii, sometimes L. d'albertisii. It's in the same genus (Liasis) as Water and Olive pythons. Hoser described some sub-species but who cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back