Burke's Backyard Replies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burkesbackyard

Reaction score
Hello all,

David Lutz request that we take a look at your website. I just wanted to reply to a few issues that have been raised in your forum. Please accept our apologies for mis-identifying the snake, unfortunately the voice on the camera tape called it a Stimpsons.

Your main concerns seem to be;
1. We headed the segment with some exotics - otherwise unobtainable in this country.
2. We didn't go into enough detail.
3. The editing.
4. We showed snakes in a bad light by airing an exotic venomous snake striking.

It is unfortunate that we ruffled so many feathers, so to speak. By far the majority of the responses we recieved through the viewer emails were positive and asking for further information. I'm happy to put your website on our Fact Sheet so that interested people may contact you directly.

We decided to show the exotic snakes purely as entertainment. We endevour to make the stories as interesting as possible (yes for ratings) for as many people as possible. Although there are a great many people who are interested in snakes, there is perhaps an equal amount of people who are not. We would like those people to keep watching too, so we need to make our stories as entertaining as possible, when possible. In our opinion, the Burmese python and the rattler simply made good vision and didn't reflect badly on the industry at all.

We only have four minutes to provide an overview of any given topic. We can't possibly provide enough detailed information in that time to even pretend that it is a comprehensive study of the topic. As such, there will always be items 'left on the cutting room floor', this is a reality. However, we are always mindful that the information we do provide is correct. That is important to us. Again apologies fo the incorrect label but as a story intended to inform potential owners about keeping certain snakes, I don't think we did a bad job.

In regards to showing herps in a bad light by airing the Burmese and aggressive rattler; In my opinion we didn't do collectors or snakes in general any harm. We didn't fake any of the shots, and we only shot what the park suggested to us. Perhaps we should have said that these exotics are not obtainable in Australia, point taken, but I do see in your own posts that one or two of you actually appear quite keen to get your hands on a 'psycho' jungle or rattler. Come on guys, double standard don't you think? At least we never said 'and if you really like snakes, you should look for the 'psycho' ones because thats what real herpitologists like!

Sorry to have upset so many of you, but I do believe that on the whole we did provide an entertaining and informative segment that was based on factual information provided to us by those who appeared on the segment.

No doubt this is not the last word, but I wont be able to address any further concerns that may be aired as a result of this post. Just thought we should answer some of your original issues.

I have added this website to our fact sheet so that interested people can contact you directly.

Regards,

James Peyton
Senior Researcher

Burkesbackyard said:
but I do see in your own posts that one or two of you actually appear quite keen to get your hands on a 'psycho' jungle or rattler. Come on guys, double standard don't you think? At least we never said 'and if you really like snakes, you should look for the 'psycho' ones because thats what real herpitologists like!

Huh?? How could one or two of us out of what, 500, be generalized into that statement. I think that was unecessary. I wasn't one of the many that complained and I like Burke's Backyard, I was just annoyed about that segment because I was hoping to educate some of my family members that I'm not a weirdo by owning snakes :? I think most of the posts are things like "my Psycho coastal" (mine, was worried I was doing something wrong) and "My snake hates me". More worried about them being 'psycho' than liking the fact that some are 'psycho'.

But, on a positive note, it was nice to hear from you about it, and I do understand the problems with trying to entertain as well as educate. It was nice that you guys indeed did take the time to roadtest snakes, especially considering the somewhat negative feedback on the tarantula story, it was a brave step.

~N

Dear James
You deffinatelly did not upset me or the silent majority of our members.
I do understand that your program must target all people and not only Herp loving community.
I think that your program was appealing to people who do not know much about reptiles, and I bet that they will not remember or know what species of snakes was shown. All they will remember is that snakes are cool.
We all wish for one thing, that the public stop to fear and hate snakes. Your program may have changed opinions of some people, and that is appreciated by me.

Slateman

My gott, inglish Slatey, watch your ingrish! lol That was refreshing, very nice to hear from them indeed. Looks like APS will be Famous now. lol Thats good for us all. Its getting big Slateman :lol: Sounds like they liked my "cutting room floor song" LOL :D

Dear James,
First thank you for showing the segment, any publicly is better than no publicly but you have to take into account the siege mentality a lot of us ( including myself ) have over the hobby, remembering that the vast majority of people don't like reptiles and we are under a very heavy bureaucratic hand.
Personally I don't think you showed reptiles in a bad light but like others I don't like the fact you showed an exotic without mentioning its legal status, we have just had an amnesty and some of us are expecting a major crackdown in the upcoming weeks targeting just such animals. Perhaps a mention in a future show.

James,
I think it was a very good gesture for you to come here and answer our concerns. Sure not everyone will agree with you, but you did produce an entertaining show and a valid point regarding the business side of your job.

Also, thanks for adding the Aussie Pythons & Snakes website to your fact sheet. This is something else you didn't need to do but clearly shows that you ARE trying to help and support our hobby, not just produce entertainment for dollars.

Simon Archibald

Dear James,

Pet herps in Australia are an ever increasing part of Australian house holds. I help run a web site that advertised a total turn over of about 3 million dollars worth of Australian Herps in the last year and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

There are quite a number of businesses in Australia totally devoted to herpetological pets.

I would suggest that far fewer people would be interested in the designer dog test you had in your (4 minute) pet road test segment last week than there would be in any of the commonly kept python species in Australia.

While the greater number of your viewers may prefer to keep a dog or cat in preference to a herp that does not mean they are not fascinated by them. If you look through the program listing for the life style channels you will see shows on reptiles feature far more prominently than those about dogs and cats. The reason for this is plain and simple. People are fascinated by reptiles.

If you chose to do focus your 4 minutes on a specific breed of python I believe you would have had a far better segment. The non herpers I spoke to were more bewildered and confused by the segment than anything else as there was little that they could latch onto and follow.

If you want a point of reference go back to the segment you did on Children?s pythons a few years back.

I believe you need to make a point that exotics cannot be legally held in Australia, that significant penalties, including possible jail terms, apply if you get caught with them and that the governments are going to significant effort to reduce the number illegally held exotics in Australia.

Regards __daavid

P.s. I also responded to your feedback line on the Friday of the show in question.

James,
I think that your 4 minute segment was just fine, yes it showed a rattle snake, and it is a exotic, but most people know that Zoo's and private parks like 'ARP' keep exotic animals, snakes included, and this is the only real(legal) place in Australia to view such animals.
Also by showing a rattlesnake, it was a obvious and exciting one to show, because of the(noise)rattle and it's behaviour it made great viewing.

I understand exactly where others are coming from in respect to people getting the wrong impression about snakes, but not from one aggressive rattler in a zoo.

I think that your segment if longer could have included more practical stuff, but you had 4 minutes.

I am sure that in the future, members on here would be pleased to help you in giving any help and advice in making any more segments or documentaries on reptiles.

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back