Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterrat

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I am not having a go at anyone, criticizing or disagreeing, I am just curious.

Looking at several threads showing pics of cage decor or one in progress, I noticed that there is a trend towards imitation of old buildings, ruins, kind of stone facade, brick / block ledges, etc., in other words, man-made stuff.
I always thought that reptiles live in a bush but what would I know?
Is this trend appealing because of the looks, easy to build, easy to clean, fascination with architecture, a believe that snakes belong or should belong to that kind of habitat ...... what is it?

cheers
M

probably for the same reason people put shipwrecks, treasure chests and mini scuba divers in goldfish tanks, they have a certain eye appeal to the owner, i doubt that goldfish come across too many sunken ships,

I agree with you that what most of the decor that some of us hobbyists do is far from a snakes natural habitat, and in the case of GTP they would look ridiculous in anything except a 'rainforest' display enclosure, if you had a small collection of snakes, the ability to vary the decor can mean the difference between something interesting to look at and a collection of snakes in boxes with sticks.

If my snakes are anything to go by, then their eyesight leaves a lot to be desired so i don't think they'd care if the decor was a cityscape, a rockscape or a backyard shedscape, as long as i feed them and they have something to climb on they seem to cope ok.

If said reptile seems happy, is feeding, defecating and shedding well with overall good health I see no relevance to enclosure decor, other than for the keeper to look at and feel some satisfaction that they are providing a similar visual environment for their critter that they would enjoy in the wild.

Probably, with some of the enclosures I've seen, mine included, it's just as well the poor individuals doomed to existence in the monstrosities CAN'T see them!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

i personally like using real branches and rocks. I doubt the reptiles care tho as long as they can hide and eat.

Elliott

everyone has their own opinion on this but totally get what your saying...
I dont think snakes/pythons would pick the diff from a background that looks like bricks ( man made ) to a actual rock wall...
like people said as long as they are eating and happy and have places to hide etc should be all good...
But i do like to try and recreate their own habitat depending on where they actually live! hahha :)

I dont think snakes/pythons would pick the diff from a background that looks like bricks ( man made ) to a actual rock wall...

I agree, I wasn't casting my question from the snake's point of view, rather why keepers who decorate their cages go for bricks, ruins, stone cobbles, etc.. I know you do see wild snakes occasionally inhabiting such places but it's more of an exception than rule.

Waterrat snakes LOVE man made structures in the wild. The amount of coastals I've found in sheds and basements and attics and verandahs etc far outweighs the number I have seen in the bush.. they clearly don't mind the structures we made for them so why not decorate an enclosure like that? Eastern browns are commonly found in sheds and whatnot and I saw an enclosure at a zoo once that was set up like a backyard with an Eastern brown in it and I must say it looked brilliant! Snake catchers are constantly being called to remove snakes from homes and yards so how can you say wild snakes inhabiting human areas is an exception rather than a rule?

People set their enclosures up to be pleasing to their eye, and that varies from person to person. The goldfish with a shipwreck in his bowl is an excellent comparison.

EDIT: I actually haven't noticed this trend to be honest.. I have only seen "humanscapes" in a zoo or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back