Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipcdame

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Family defends not saving joey from snake | News.com.au

How awful, to just sit there and watch the poor mother frantically try to save her baby!!!! How callous.I know it's nature, and there are those who will come on here and tell me to harden up, but I could never sit there, and watch one animal try to save it's baby against such an adversary, thats just awful.

I suppose it kept their tiny minds occupied and amused for a while.

ERRRRM you own a snake ?.......most motherly instincts would kick in ...if your snake foods mother had the chance it would defend its litter ..a mother hen would protect its chicks etc ...why is this any different?

How can you own a snake and have that attitude about a wild one getting some grub?
and besides they havent learnt how to use the hungry jacks drive thru yet ;)

You dont have to watch it,just go back inside.
Surely you wouldn't intervene would you?
I would watch, and I'd take pics / video, were all different.
It is an amazing series of pics but does not show the mother
in any of them.

Snakes have to eat.What did you expect it to do? Go down to Maccas for a burger?

Thats nature for ya, If they had of tried helping it the wallaby probably would have attacked them too, then the story would go in a different direction wouldnt it???

i would have tried to stop the mother of the animal being eaten from hurting the snake if anything
as you said yourself its nature things eat other things

as for them watching the event most people are scared senseless of the thought of a snake let alone intervening with a scrubby eating a wallaby

I just don't understand anyone who can stand by and watch or enjoy the suffering of animals, in any way. yes, I may have tried to pull on the snakes tail or something, at least TRIED for the poor wallaby's sake.

Yes, I own snakes, redbelly bite, but I feed only thawed frozen rats. not live with their mothers in torment.

I take no pleasure from any suffering, of ANY kind, and anyone who would, I would say the same, CALLOUS.

Would any of you just expect a crowd to gather and watch while your own children were attacked and murdered while you tried desperately to save them? I think not. This is just what that was, be it animal or human - no difference, the same emotions to survive and save are still there.

Call me silly if you like, but I can't tolerate suffering of ANY kind, as I just said.

I just don't understand anyone who can stand by and watch or enjoy the suffering of animals, in any way. yes, I may have tried to pull on the snakes tail or something, at least TRIED for the poor wallaby's sake.

Yes, I own snakes, redbelly bite, but I feed only thawed frozen rats. not live with their mothers in torment.

I take no pleasure from any suffering, of ANY kind, and anyone who would, I would say the same, CALLOUS.

Would any of you just expect a crowd to gather and watch while your own children were attacked and murdered while you tried desperately to save them? I think not. This is just what that was, be it animal or human - no difference, the same emotions to survive and save are still there.

Call me silly if you like, but I can't tolerate suffering of ANY kind, as I just said.

If the snake got hold of a baby rat or bird or any other type of animal.while its mother stood by distressed would you sit back and not intervene or do you have double standards when it comes to these things?

dipdcame, you wouldnt call a snake starving to death suffering? Unless you are a vegan that is very hypocritical, as im sure you have eaten an animal that has been living in less than humane conditions in order to end up on your plate. As for feeding frozen, are you 100% certain these anuimals have been treated great their entire lives?

Sadly that is nature, if you look at it from the snakes point of view, if you hadve been there and intervened it would have gone hungry, and if people intervened every time nature ran its course, well what animals would we have left?

cheers

i find this very interesting...
your right, it is callous, but nature is callous. its kill, go hungry or be killed.
your just lucky that your a species that gets your meal served in cling wrap, and not in a paddock while the mother sheep looks on as the lamb is slaughtered - by you, so you can feed your kids, or survive another day
nature is all about suffering, and you cant save everything. and if you let it bother you, your not going to be able to rest. do you watch those african documentries, do you want to save every deer? every mother faces losing their offspring to a preditor. sometimes they defend, most often they dont.
and please dont blame the family for watching and doing nothing, it isnt their place to decide the fate of the food chain. humans flaw is that we think we are above nature, and everything can be saved...nature is cruel, but amazing

This is one of the most BIZARRE threads ever dipC .....in all honesty if you didnt own a snake I could understand why you feel that ..but you own a snake ...
your rat that you feed the snake isnt BORN FROZEN
it is a cute warm fuzzy baby that its mother looks after and breast feeds and licks clean etc ...
only then a HUMAN comes along and takes away her babies and KILLS them so it can be placed into a FREEZER so YOU can buy them to FEED your SNAKE ...get the picture ?.....
wild snakes dont have humans looking after them to give them thawed food ...its got nothing to do with heartless or sick ..it was an act of nature ....had that been a act of cruelty where a bunch of rednecks were torturing and harming the wallabies and they stood back and only looked on, I could see your point, and YES I WOULD HAVE INTERVENED no worries about that ,and I would presume many others on this forum would have done the same..
but a snake eating dinner ...you would rather upset a snake and make it regurgitate its meal ,to which it can be a dangerous situation for the snake to do that ,then allow it to eat a meal .knowing full well that the mother wallaby would have already a baby ready to get back in her pouch ...

I remember community outrage up here a couple of years ago, when a couple of dingos attacked and killed a wallaby up on one of the northern beaches... People actually seemed amazed that our wild carnivorous animals actually have sharp teeth and claws for a reason.... Now the only time I have ever pulled a prey item out of the mouth of an attacker was a green tree frog that was being swarmed by green weaver ants, A screaming frog is not an easy thing to ignore while you are trying to sleep, and I have been bitten by enough green ants to consider taking the frogs side.....

This is one of the most BIZARRE threads ever dipC .....in all honesty if you didnt own a snake I could understand why you feel that ..but you own a snake ...QUOTE]

i think its sad that people who dont own snakes still dont understand the situation.
Is it because the wallaby has fur, and eyes that blink, that people think it is more deserving to live than the snake in need of a meal?
Its not just about people misunderstanding the scaled-animals, its the whole idea that we would rather be ignorant to animals eating other animals, than accept it as a part of life. maybe its because our eating-of-animals is such a distant part of our lives, we really dont understand or appreciate it anymore.

I don't see where the argument is... um, the joey was already dead - if it HAD been alive, good luck trying to pry it from the grip of a supposedly 4m scrubby and it surviving the crushing... it's life, they're not gonna evolve aposable (sp) thumbs and be able to farm their food in any great hurry... yeash until someone manages to convince all pythons to eat carrots this is just how it's gonna be.

So Dip, how do you feel about the docco filmers that sit back and watch male lions take over other lion prides and then proceed to kill all the lion cubs that they have not fathered? oooorrr when they film spiders wrapping insects... or wait ! what about when eagles take fish from the water! or anteaters breaking open ants nests etc

I think you get my point.

PS: They get paid for it too.

I think everyone needs to stop having a go at her.

Dipcdame is entitled to her own opinions and beliefs, and none of you can ever take that right away from her.

I see where you're coming from Dipcdame, I hate suffering too, but it's just one big circle of nature. If the wallaby doesn't suffer, then the snake will. It's one horrible but interesting everlasting cycle.

If the scrubby hadn't gotten too close to the wallaby yet then I can't honestly say I would stay out of it. But if the wallaby is already in it's coils and the snakey is halfway through dinner, then I think it's best just to leave it.

It all works out in the end I guess :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back