Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh blah blah blah. No point in trying to get through to people who don't give a flying about differing opinions.
You are the knight in shining armour saying we are all wrong for not respecting people with differing opinions.. but you are showing absolutely no respect for any of OUR opinions, which differ from yours.

You have also resorted to very immature tactics, which is a pity because there is nothing like a good healthy debate when people keep it civil (which seldom happens on this site)

Last edited by a moderator:
Andie and cosmicwolf4, thank goodness for people like you! You guys PROVE that there are ways of expressing one's opinion without being nasty about it, which I admit I am guilty of at times, though I do subscribe to the "fight fire with fire" philosophy and don't realise that sometimes it's not the best way to go about it. I just can't stand by and watch while a good, kind hearted person is being attacked. It, unfortunately, happens more on this site than not, but hopefully that will change in the future.

Thanks again so much to the two of you. You've just made my night :) :)

I am emotional and I find it upsetting to see people arguing and name calling on a site that's meant to be here to help and advise.
I wonder if you who are being so critical would be friends in real time if you didn't know that the person you are arguing with was the person you were speaking to.
Each one of you are probably really nice, kind people and yet when you get on here, you turn into hellions.
I have so much respect for many of you here and don't like to see what you do to each other.
How about using explanations and courtesy, instead of flaming and name calling when there is a post you don't like?

As I already posted, I think that it IS an issue that it can be helpful to look at without emotion ie logically. And I am a girl so it is not a gender thing.

Nature (as an entire ecosystem) does not have emotion. It is a series of living and non-living things interacting. In this case two living things interacted and resulted in one being eaten. The kangaroo mother may appear emtional to us (who have emotions) but she was just doing what comes naturally. There are numerous stories of human parents acting purely on instinct when their children are in danger. Emotion does not enter into it until they realise afterwards and shock sets in.

It is us humans who superimpose our emotions onto the situation. We feel horrible for the poor baby that died or the apparently frantic mother. Or we feel empathy for the snake who was probably very hungry.

Is this a bad thing? Not really because it is these same emotions that compel us to conservation and rescuing abused pets or injured wildlife.

It is when these varying degrees of emotion (or lack of) begin to clash with each other that the problems arise, as are happening here. Because we all (myself included!) are sure that we are right.

Can I suggest that the flaming stop from all sides and we just realise that people are affected by things differently. I have a very strong consitution (bring on Man vs Wild!) but I realise and accept that others do not and that is all there is to it. You don't have to watch a violent nature doco. I like them because you learn a lot but I won't make you watch one with me! And I don't think less of someone who can't or won't watch it.

The OP has already said that she did not know all of the situation when she first posted.

Can what has become a mean and rather pointless this thread be laid to rest now?

I don't believe this thread should have even been started, starting a thread with namecalling leaves the flood gates wide open for heated discussion.

I also would not force anyone to watch what they did not want to watch. I personally believe that it is natures way, though tragic as the situation may have been I do not believe that people who can stomach to watch nature take its course should be slandered as "callous".

No, I am trying to make people realise that it's not right to ostricise someone for expressing an opinion. Your opinion is in the majority and therefore you're not the one under attack. There's no disrespect from me whatsoever. What there is, however, is an expression of disappointment in what appears to be a real "bully" mentality. I just find it astounding that people who appear to be reasonably intelligent can suddenly turn on someone in an instant which is what I've observed here. In real life, this just wouldn't happen.

You are the knight in shining armour saying we are all wrong for not respecting people with differing opinions.. but you are showing absolutely no respect for any of OUR opinions, which differ from yours.

You have also resorted to very immature tactics, which is a pity because there is nothing like a good healthy debate when people keep it civil (which seldom happens on this site)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back