can hatchling turtles b kept in outdoor ponds?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
just wondering if they would be ok or would the temp differences b to much for them.

john

hornet said:
just wondering if they would be ok or would the temp differences b to much for them.

john

Hi john,

It really depends on what species of turtle you are talking about and whereabouts you live. Also on what time of the year you put them out in the pond!

Craig
Expansa1

Expansas right. We cannot advise you on such a broad question.

Please specify your general location & what species you're planning to put outdoors. :?:

Also, how old are they exactly?

i was just askin 2 proove my dad wrong, he thinks it will be fine 2 keep them outdoors i was thinking they will need 2 b kept indoors, they r murray river turtles, only a few days old and i live in central qld.

john

well i dont keep turtles althought i would love to but, i would want to keep it inside for a few years mainly cause of winter, but because you live up north it would probably be alright considering they live so far down south compared to your location, it would get to cold. but i wouldnt

they r murray river turtles, only a few days old and i live in central qld.

Thanks for the vital statistics.

The Murray River Turtle, also known as the Macquarie River Turtle - Emydura macquarii.

There's about 6 subspecies. Do you know what subspecies it is?
All are found further south than where you live though.
E.m.signata is the most northerly occurring subspecies occupying the Brisbane River system.

Because you're outside their natural range I'd recommend keeping them inside in an aquarium as they're only hatchlings. Give them access to direct sunlight whenever temperatures are moderate, but not in the aquarium. An old bathtub not filled to the top with a log in the middle would be ideal. As they get older they can spend more and more time in it.
Note: if it's not a cast iron bathtub, I recommend sinking it into the ground to moderate temperature extremes.

Eventually they can go into an outside pond. I recommend feeding them small whole fish. If you can get a breeding colony of Guppies - Gambusia affinis, t's absolutely essential that they are isolated and can't get into creeks, as they are an introduced pest and can devestate the ecosystem.

Cheers

zen

zen said:
they r murray river turtles, only a few days old and i live in central qld.

Thanks for the vital statistics.

The Murray River Turtle, also known as the Macquarie River Turtle - Emydura macquarii.

There's about 6 subspecies. Do you know what subspecies it is?
All are found further south than where you live though.
E.m.signata is the most northerly occurring subspecies occupying the Brisbane River system.

Because you're outside their natural range I'd recommend keeping them inside in an aquarium as they're only hatchlings. Give them access to direct sunlight whenever temperatures are moderate, but not in the aquarium. An old bathtub not filled to the top with a log in the middle would be ideal. As they get older they can spend more and more time in it.
Note: if it's not a cast iron bathtub, I recommend sinking it into the ground to moderate temperature extremes.

Eventually they can go into an outside pond. I recommend feeding them small whole fish. If you can get a breeding colony of Guppies - Gambusia affinis, t's absolutely essential that they are isolated and can't get into creeks, as they are an introduced pest and can devestate the ecosystem.

Cheers

zen

Hi Zen,
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but the Emydura macquarii 'complex' has been re-classified and 'signata' doesn't exist anymore. Signata are now Emydura macquarii macquarii. There are now only 4 species/sub species that fall into this category now! There is only Emydura macquarii macquarii, Emydura macquarii krefftii, Emydura macquarii nigra and Emydura macquarii emmotti.

Regards,

Craig
Expansa1

Dads are way too tough when it comes to things like baby animals. I think they have a special "toughness" gene which is activated as soon as they become a father. As such, no matter what species of turtle (or animal) you have and no matter where you live, DO NOT TAKE YOUR DAD'S ADVICE when he says, "they'll be right, they're a *insert animal here* and *insert animal here*'s belong outside".

Unless, of course it's a diamond python. (How proud is Serpenttounge going to be of me?!!!!!!! :D )

reptililian said:
Dads are way too tough when it comes to things like baby animals. I think they have a special "toughness" gene which is activated as soon as they become a father. As such, no matter what species of turtle (or animal) you have and no matter where you live, DO NOT TAKE YOUR DAD'S ADVICE when he says, "they'll be right, they're a *insert animal here* and *insert animal here*'s belong outside".

Unless, of course it's a diamond python. (How proud is Serpenttounge going to be of me?!!!!!!! :D )
Ime sure serp is proud of you reptilil LOLz ,you think all reptile keepers are underlings,were not! .This little black duck keeps his reptiles where he wants!!!!! :evil: :evil: (as long as its alright with the missses) 8) :lol:

Ah Zulu, you think you're free, but there's still a big thumb hovering over you, isn't there!! :wink:

...the Emydura macquarii 'complex' has been re-classified and 'signata' doesn't exist anymore. Signata are now Emydura macquarii macquarii. There are now only 4 species/sub species that fall into this category now! There is only Emydura macquarii macquarii, Emydura macquarii krefftii, Emydura macquarii nigra and Emydura macquarii emmotti.

Thanks for the update there Craig. It seems I'm a bit out of date.
I was going of Wilson & Swan, " A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia", 2003.
Also, John Cann in "Australian Freshwater Turtles" lists 7 subspecies.

That'd be right, as soon as I think I understand "a complex", they go and change it on me (bloody nomenclaturists :wink:)

Just a coupla :?:'s

Where does the Sydney Basin Short-neck Emydura macquarii dharuk now fit in?

And what's your source?

Cheers, zen

Lily said:-

Dads are way too tough when it comes to things like baby animals. I think they have a special "toughness" gene which is activated as soon as they become a father. As such, no matter what species of turtle (or animal) you have and no matter where you live, DO NOT TAKE YOUR DAD'S ADVICE...

Ease up on the misandry there Lil :roll:

Fair go on the Dad's out there. Such generalisations are dangerous.
I for one discovered my nurturing instinct when I became a father. :D

I'm much softer now, than in my rugby days :wink:

Sorry Zen :oops: Must be just my Dad who thinks that no matter how small and vulnerable the animal, and no matter how many degrees in the minus the temperature, it still belongs outside!

However, it seems he's getting softer. The other night I witnessed him - big strong 2m high man - being so gentle and tender as he tried to get a recalcitrant hatchling to take a pinky. AND he succeeded. Ahhh, reptiles bring out the best in everyone! :D These days he'd maybe even think John's turts should live inside!!! :wink:

Thanks Lily.

No worries. 8)
Just a case of drawing the general from the specific.

Your dad sounds like he's mellowing slightly with age too. :wink:

There's hope for us all. :)

Happy festive season.
Peace & cheers, zen

re can

Ive found that juvenile longnecks do well outside,just put wire mesh over the top of a fish tank and cover one end from sun.They hibernate in the water over winter no problem and it gets cold in sydneys west,the food for hatchys is the trick like wriggley live garden worms they like these and they are easy to find and full of minerals. :)

zen said:
...the Emydura macquarii 'complex' has been re-classified and 'signata' doesn't exist anymore. Signata are now Emydura macquarii macquarii. There are now only 4 species/sub species that fall into this category now! There is only Emydura macquarii macquarii, Emydura macquarii krefftii, Emydura macquarii nigra and Emydura macquarii emmotti.

I was going of Wilson & Swan, " A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia", 2003.

That'd be right, as soon as I think I understand "a complex", they go and change it on me (bloody nomenclaturists :wink:)

phtt, its gone.

And what's your source?

Scott Thomson(he reclassified them)

Cheers, zen

phtt, its gone.

And what's your source?

Scott Thomson(he reclassified them)

zen said:

And what's your source?

Cheers, zen

Hi Zen,
Apparently dna test have shown that the Sydney Basin turtles are a cross between Murrays and Kreffts.

My information comes from Scott Thomson, a research biologist from Canberra University that works with Arthur Georges, also a well known turtle research scientist.

Regards,
Expansa1

Thanks Peter & Expansa1.

Apparently dna test have shown that the Sydney Basin turtles are a cross between Murrays and Kreffts
:shock: I wonder how Emydura m. dharuk ended up being a mongrel hybrid :? :?:

They occur in "wild" populations in the Nepean River and in & around Sydney.
Very curious???.
Escapees I suppose (?).

Can either of you provide a link to scientific papers or publications by Scott Thomson & Arthur Georges regarding this new research :?: .

Interesting stuff, I'd love to read their work.

Cheers, zen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back