Can he eat a jumbo rat? (Photo in thread)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJungleBook

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Kaa.png
My Carpet Python...

He usually gets three medium or large rats. Would one jumbo be too much? There is a bit of a difference between L and jumbo... (I've only just got him back after a long holiday away from me and I think he was underfed.)

Thanks...

Last edited:
nice carpet, in my opinion it could probably eat a jumbo, my coastals are of similar size(if not a lil bigger) and can eat a jumbo rat, roughly how old and what size is the carpet?

He is about 5 I think... And about 5 ft long. I hadn't seen him in a year and he hasn't grown much at all so I think he'll love a jumbo. I'll give him a go. He is very small isn't he :( How old are yours?

Why do you want to feed him a "jumbo" rat? Why not stick to the medium or large if that's what he's used to? Jumbo rats are often old breeders and carry considerably more fat than younger adults, which is why I generally avoid the jumbos.

Simon

I would love to stick to the M or L all the time but sometimes it's too expensive. Now I understand why there's a big price difference. Thanks, Simon.

Feeding very large food items, even though a snake can eat them, is not wise. You risk regurgitation which may even kill your snake. Stick to moderate meals, enough to give a slight bulge, once a week or two. Three rats every meal is way too much unless you're feeding only every month or 6 weeks (which is quite OK as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back