can I get this Python in Australia????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharky

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, great if you could be able to help!

I'm going to a breeder that is friends of one of my friends on Saturday and they said that they would order in a breed for me if they didn't have it in stock. since I've been planning on getting another python I've been doing my research. I found a number of gorgeous species but found this most interesting. I find it unique, gorgeous and seems perfect for me and of course is an australian species. It is the D'albert's Python; AKA the white lipped water python. It's scientific name is Leiopython albertisii. I have seen them for sale on some websites but I'm not really that sure....
Just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to actually get one!!!

If not, what is your personal recomendations. I'm only asking this because I have found so many different breeds I ADORE and cannot decide which one to get! Yes, I have alot of space to keep them in and have resources to food supplies that are local in my area.

Thanks in advance!

I've heard rumours - little more than that though - to suggest a select few individuals might have them, but your chances of legally acquiring one are basically zip! The question has popped up here a few times over the years, but it's just one of those "never-to-be" species, as far as the pet trade goes.

No you can't, we can only keep native species by law here in Aus or are they native?:?

Why not get a Australian water python (Liasis fuscus)

Last edited:
It's odd the white lipped python is on the keepers species list in NSW (Species code 2617), yet no one has them. I thought they where only found in PNG so don't know why they are on the list. That said I wouldnt mind a pair plys some of the scrubs from PNG.

Last edited:
It's odd the white lipped python is on the keepers species list in NSW, yet no one has them. I thought they where only found in PNG so don't know why they are on the list. That said I wouldnt mind a pair plys some of the scrubs from PNG.

Apparently there found on the northern islands of the torres straight a.k.a Australia.

^ Yup. You got it in one, Venomos1111. Found on a few of the northernmost torres straight islands - therefore a native. One could theoretically keep one in either NSW or QLD, but you would have to legally acquire it first.

There are two known to be held legally in captivity as far as I am aware and both of those have been in captivity for quite some time. NPPWS know that both are males however and therefore will never breed. So in a nutshell, you will never be able to legally get white lips in Australia and if someone tries to do a dodgy, NWPS with be all over them like a rash.

There are two known to be held legally in captivity as far as I am aware and both of those have been in captivity for quite some time. NPPWS know that both are males however and therefore will never breed. So in a nutshell, you will never be able to legally get white lips in Australia and if someone tries to do a dodgy, NWPS with be all over them like a rash.
Isn't it possible to get a license that allows you to go out and catch wild snakes and keep them?
If they are some where in Australia why hasn't anyone gone out and caught a pair or at least a female for the two males held legally?

There are no substantiated records of white lips on any of the TS islands in Australian territory.

Isn't it possible to get a license that allows you to go out and catch wild snakes and keep them?
If they are some where in Australia why hasn't anyone gone out and caught a pair or at least a female for the two males held legally?

No there isn't. Not to collect for the pet trade... except in WA and the NT... and WLPs don't occur there.

Jamie

As saltuarius said White lips are not Australian nor are they found on any island of the Torres strait. The thought of them occurring in Australia was due to a mislabeled specimen from png.

Cheers
scott

Hi Scott and Saltuarius,

Do either of you have a source for the info confirming that Leiopython isn't found in the Torres strait and regarding the mislabelling of a specimen?

Very interested to read more about this.

Kind regards

Conners

I heard of a breeder once had two breeding pairs in NSW (in the 80's?), and after a stoush with NPWS they took them and handed them to TARONGA ZOO.

On the NSW DECCW current species list they require a R2 licence's, but as i was told unless i move to the UK or U.S that would be the only way
i would ever own one.

Conners,

Basically it was a corrected error. Hence no paper. They were thought of of occurred only at boigu, sabai and durnam islands which are only Australian by territory (20 Km off the png coast). No surveys or specimens have turned up from these localities despite numerous surveys.

Sabai in particular has been quite well herped as it is one of the only locations Papuan taipans and Papuan blacks occur in "Australia" and such if white lips were there it it generally thought they would turned up by now.

Cheers
scott

Conners,

Basically it was a corrected error. Hence no paper. They were thought of of occurred only at boigu, sabai and durnam islands which are only Australian by territory (20 Km off the png coast). No surveys or specimens have turned up from these localities despite numerous surveys.

Sabai in particular has been quite well herped as it is one of the only locations Papuan taipans and Papuan blacks occur in "Australia" and such if white lips were there it it generally thought they would turned up by now.

Cheers
scott

This is correct. The documentation was corrected some time ago now was it not?

Also based on what yourself and saltaurius have stated, there has been no substantial evidance to say they are located on those islands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back