Can I handle my snake after its just shed??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 30368

Reaction score
I just posted a thread about feeding after shedding. Can i hold her yet? Its quite funny, she shed her skin and when i took the skin out to take a look, i turned round and my SWCP had just shed his skin too! :) I was hoping i could hold them before i feed them to look at their fresh new colours. Can i????

think of them shedding like you having a bubble blister that you have popped and taken the skin off...theres the fresh, raw skin underneath and you walk and that fresh skin is rubbing on the carpet....thats what it's like for snakes after a shed...best not to handle yah stimmie mate :)

thanks guys :) i gave them both a mouse instead. we'll cuddle in a few days then. :)

Sure you can, just be gentle ;) Best time for photos is after they shed when they're all silky smooth xD

The snake may also feel vulnerable and a bit scared after a shed because it is new skin that isn't 'hardened' yet (i know they don't have hard skin but i would expect the new scales to be softer than their old ones).

During the sloughing process the scales do soften. As much as possible of the keratinised outer layer is reabsorbed and in order to do this there needs to be living tissue underneath. When no more can be absorbed the body produces a thin layer of fluid to physically separate the old dead outer layer. This can be seen most readily in the eye caps when they go milky in colour. The body is also pumped up at this point to increase in size. The outer layer of scales and skin then deposit keratin to form a hard outer layer again. Before doing so, most of the fluid is reabsorbed. So before shedding actually begins, the scales are already hardened. If they are not fully hardened for any reason there would be something wrong with the snake.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
lol I love how Aus managed to say the same thing as you with just two words Blue :p

think of them shedding like you having a bubble blister that you have popped and taken the skin off...theres the fresh, raw skin underneath and you walk and that fresh skin is rubbing on the carpet....thats what it's like for snakes after a shed...best not to handle yah stimmie mate :)
Have you ever felt a freshly shed snake? It's nothing like a blister and they feel virtually identical

Last edited:
I just figure....soft fleshy hands=much nicer than gravel, rocks, and bark too be crawling over...

And if they can do that in the wild, Im sure theyll be fine...

i handle mine just after a shed, my bhp is happy to be handled just minutes after a shed. Well He doesn't get stressed in anyway. Great time for photos!

Last edited:
it seems a lot of it is, a) personal prefrence and b) how the snake reacts. I havent had them long so i dont know what they do and dont like. I guess i'll get to know them soon enough and be able to see if holding or fedding after a shed is tollerated by them :)
They're like little people! :)
All your above comments really do help me out :)

I haven't had snakes long and none of mine had shed yet while i have had them but i was told to be careful about handling after a shed.
It is good to know that it shouldn't harm them to handle after a shed, thanks Blue for clearing that up without flaming me :D

I pick mine up after they have shed, that way I can give them a check to see if they have shed properly.

It's fine, once my bredli shed in my hands! I remember someone once mentioning the prospect of smudging when they're still fresh however... ;)

lol I love how Aus managed to say the same thing as you with just two words Blue
I can keep it to less than two words if you reckon that is better.
I did not notice AUS providing an explanation that would allow the the similarities and limitations with the burst blister analogy to be determined or reassuring a different poster that yes, the scales actually do get soft. Nor do I recall a rationale being given for why you should not handle a snake in pre-slough condition.

People ask questions and others offer answers and it is often evident there is a lack of full understanding of the whys and wherefores of the process. Two word answers do nothing to correct that situation, no matter how right they are. I would rather take the time and space to explain an answer so that readers can develop an understanding of why. Otherwise their learning in the hobby is made up of a multitude of individual isolated facts (often do's and dont's) that do not necessarily tie together. Understanding the reasons behind these facts is better for comprehension, memory and application to varying situations.

Your comment was made in jest. My reply is not. This is my attitude and those who do not like long posts are not compelled to read mine. I will not be offended.

Blue

NB. I corrected the last line of my previous post. If the scales have not fully hardened before shedding then that would clearly indicate something physiologically wrong with the animal and veterinary intervention would be appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but mate, everyone understood what he wrote without having to look up words in the dictionary

I actually didn't think that comment was in jest either

Back to the question, why do you feel the need to pick it up immediately anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back