Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lost_cause

Reaction score
hey, my cat had brought in a little snake the smorning, cats fine, brought it in a few hours ago, just took a few photos of it and was wondering if anyone could tell me what breed it is and if its venomous or not.
Its different shades of brown in a diamond pattern, with a pink neck and belly turning white at the end. Has specks of white through and so on.
thanks
james.

Attachments

• IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 203
I hope the snake is ok! I'm with Ren, Keep your cat inside... to avoid worrying about it being bitten by a venomous snake! The cat isnt fine if its freely allowed to roam and kill/terrorize wildlife! Protect your cat and the wildlife by locking it up in the house...haha try training it to walk on a lead if you want to give it exercise:lol:...OR let it out fully supervised on a lead... also if you're worried about it crapping in the house.. thats what kitty litters were invented for. dont forget to release the snake if you havent already! Be more responsible next time... be a responsible cat owner

Last edited:
i thought it was illeagal to let your cat out of the house full stop now. if it isnt yet it damn well should be.

Indeed! with all the irresponsible cat owners out there, you should have to have a license to keep them with a strict set of rules, and if broken the animal gets put down as a consequence! Too bad I dont see that happening anytime soon:?:| Its a pity really with all the harm "outdoor" cats do...

Could be a keelback but to be honest I cannot be positive from the photos. Could be a Tropidechis carinatus in which case you should release it somewhere quickly and not play with it.
Nobody really cares about your cat btw.

another irresoncible cat owner. yes i can say that as i own cats and they never go outside unless its out into our patio cage. keep your cat inside or locked in an outside cage so it cant injure or kill native wildlife

Would be most useful if you told us where in the world you and the snake are situated, then we may be able to assist in ID!

can i suggest you keep your cat inside where it belongs.

I hope the snake is ok! I'm with Ren, Keep your cat inside... to avoid worrying about it being bitten by a venomous snake! The cat isnt fine if its freely allowed to roam and kill/terrorize wildlife! Protect your cat and the wildlife by locking it up in the house...haha try training it to walk on a lead if you want to give it exercise:lol:...OR let it out fully supervised on a lead... also if you're worried about it crapping in the house.. thats what kitty litters were invented for. dont forget to release the snake if you havent already! Be more responsible next time... be a responsible cat owner

i thought it was illeagal to let your cat out of the house full stop now. if it isnt yet it damn well should be.

Indeed! with all the irresponsible cat owners out there, you should have to have a license to keep them with a strict set of rules, and if broken the animal gets put down as a consequence! Too bad I dont see that happening anytime soon:?:| Its a pity really with all the harm "outdoor" cats do...

And what a warm welcome to the site :rolleyes:

Personally, I think its good that you are making an effort to educate yourself about our native wildlife. While your photos are a bit blurry, I agree that it looks like a harmless little keelback.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the only way to differentiate between a keelback and a rough-scaled snake was by the presence of a loreal scale, which is only present on keelbacks.

Based on that, and the fact that the photos are not clear enough to determine the presence of a loreal scale, I would be highly cautious of the pictured animal, as if it is a rough-scaled snake, a bite could really ruin your day.

A bell on a cats collar will not stop it catching small animals! But I know some thing that will.......... a brick!

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the only way to differentiate between a keelback and a rough-scaled snake was by the presence of a loreal scale, which is only present on keelbacks.

Based on that, and the fact that the photos are not clear enough to determine the presence of a loreal scale, I would be highly cautious of the pictured animal, as if it is a rough-scaled snake, a bite could really ruin your day.

completely with you on that one mate, cant be positive its a keel back unless we an ID the loreal scale.

i'v owned reptiles for years, have had lizards, snakes etc. but the people who i live with like cats aswell. it is a shame about the wildlife that cats go for, but animals kill animals. its the evolutionary food chain. its what happens. all over the world, every second of everyday, an animal is killing another animal.

snake is 100% nothing wrong with him. think about all the small mammals, mice and birds that snakes are attacking daily?

i hate it as much as the next person. but its what happens.

thanks for the help to everyone who bothered to concentrate on the question at hand

Thats a bit harsh,
it isnt the cats fault if they are let out..why should they get put down ?

It's not harsh, its reality in a weird kind of a way...the same thing would most likely happen if it got confiscated by the RSPCA or whatever... go to any of those animal shelter sites and have a look at the statistics of how many cats and dogs have to be put down each year because no body wants them or because the shelters just dont have the space for them anymore... What would you rather? Risk a cat be confiscated, then most likely given to another person who can't look after it properly just to have it runaway and become a feral cat hunting purely wildlife etc not jut the occasional special treat of wildlife? or have the cat put down and not take up more space that the shelters dont have and not risk it falling into the wrong hands again and harm another wild animal ever again? And yes there are responsible cat owners out there that do the right thing and some adopt them from the shelters and pounds, but reality is that there are more irresponsible than responsible cat owners out there. And really there is an excess of cats roaming around freely so I dont see the harm in putting it down humanely if someone is doing the wrong thing with it. But thats JMHO you dont need/have to agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back