Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Might buy me a stuffed one and then that way it doesnt need anything. Haha "

I can sell you a stuffed one if you are that keen,the few I ran over last night were certainly stuffed,I can check to see if they're still flat as pancakes on the road and we have het for hypo cane toad morphs breeding up my way.This could become a lucrative little business...

I dont want any stink leaking out of it, so you gotta tan it properly. Haha

My brothers and i went hunting when we were kids. We had heaps of them in the lockyer valley. But they don't seem to be in the numbers that they use to? I had cousins in the snowy mts and when we would visit we had them believing that they were so big, that they would eat a small dog!LOLOLOLOLOLOL:)

Oh dear me, how awful...I could never just "kill" something, I'd have to take it to a vet...yukko !! But then we don't have them here in WA...well, maybe a couple right up north, but not south of Perth as I am...I've never seen a live one....

I had two in my "garden"... a 3x3m patch of grass. I don't like killing things. I mean the problem with cane toads is that they're just really good at surviving- at the expense of lots other animals... kinda like us humans. I'd rather kill a few cane toads and save a few natives than not do anything.

Some one should build a cane toad killing machine.... like a really big blender or a massive hammer machine 1 press of a button then SPLAT.

Crush the skull or freeze the animal (personally I think the former is the least cruel). They are a menace and need to be despatched but not cruelly. Just belting one does not guarantee it will die, they are unbelievably tough.

Just ensure the head is thoroughly smashed, and don't let any of the white secretions of poison from the sacs behind their head get in your eyes - very nasty stuff. I use a hockey stick to crack their skull a few times - have seen off a couple of hundred over the last 10 years or so here in Brisbane. Whilst this is a bit messy, it is effective and quick. Dispose of the animal in the bin, as mentioned before, you don't want a native animal to feed on the carcass.

In science, we watched a doco on cane toads. They interviewed a person who dries them, then smokes them :shock:. Another person drove around hitting them with his car. He said that "...they mad a POP sound..."

They do make a pop sound lullaby, but always remember to wind your window up or you could end up like I did, covered in cane toad guts:)

lol when we were at qld we got a few but also we put some on the road and stood on the side and waited for trucks, its funny how many people swerve to hit them, they end up like a flat piece of paper. all toads were removed after they were hit and put in the bin.

hehehe i remember when i was in queensland at my uncles farm at night we grabbed a gold club and whacked them. they went flying lol one of the best fun in my life. killed bout 50

Cane Toads are great, one of my favorite critters.... I have no time for weak and endangered animals that fail to thrive in the "new world".

Can someone please tell me how putting metho and dettol on a cane toad is humane?

I love to be doused in chemicals so that it burns my eyes and starts to choke me - I'd often think that was a good way to die too...

Here's a list of things I do...

1) I capture the cane toads from the garden and put them in a large garbage bag with their friends, they like that because they get to chat about the weather and what they've had for dinner.

2) The said captured party of toads is transferred to the freezer where they enjoy the equivalent of a warm sunny day (with no light) on Antarctica.

Which brings me to the question - why isn't there a light in the freezer?

3) Finally after a few days of holidaying in Antarctica I tie up the non-bio-degradable plastic bags firmly and put them in a defrosting situation outside in the bin... From there they're transported to a refuse collection site and then maybe buried to be reused as lighter fluid in the future.

This 1) stops them from poisoning other creatures that try to eat them when they're dead, 2) removes them humanely from my garden and 3) allows them to be put to good use for the future.

Please be humane - they're animals and all animals have feelings.

Please do not spray chemicals - especially detol and meths - it's not suitable for euthanising toads.

Be sensible - if you club them then dispose of the carcass before other creatures are poisoned by them.

Wow some great tips on animal cruelty in this thread. To kill them humanely with physical force you need to hit them very hard in the brain area, which may risk poison getting in your eyes if you are a bit unco. (shooting them works but not a good idea inside a house lol)

I dont really think freezing them is likely to be humane, but is probably the best choice if you dont want to be cruel and arnt keen on using force and cool them slowly in the fridge first. Most chemical methods such as using dettol, salt or metho are extremely cruel.

Haha who needs biodiversity anyway eh? I was a happy woman the day the yellow breasted fluffergoblin became extinct in the wild. made my collection one of a kind. very valuable. priceless even. Haha no i love my useless critters, and plants. I've considered sneaking into peoples gardens at night and murdering their weeds :shock:

so many different opinions. I just looked at the rspca's site and it said to freeze them to 4 degrees and striking its head against something hard or leaving them in the freezer for 2 days. I like the second method as I'm not exactly mrs muscles.

You cannot keep toads (or servals) as pets in Australia!

When I was in Winnipeg there was a pet store that had cane toads for sale as pets. Maybe you should move there?

I want a pet one! Ive never seen them in real life but i have tanned ones as keyrings and stuff. They look prehistoric
I would never have one in NSW though mind you. Wouldnt even risk it.
Might buy me a stuffed one and then that way it doesnt need anything. Haha

Apparently toads legs can be safely eaten.

The "Bush Tucker Banquet" DVD available from the Herp Shop shows how they should be prepared.

BushTucker.gif

In his bush tucker kitchen the Barefoot Bushman prepares such things as feral rat, barramundi sausage and cane toad legs and gives some good advice on how to save on the supermarket bill.

You cannot keep toads (or servals) as pets in Australia!

When I was in Winnipeg there was a pet store that had cane toads for sale as pets. Maybe you should move there?

I'm not convinced - for example it's illegal to keep protected wildlife in Queensland without a permit.

Cane toads are not protected.

It's illegal to keep noxious pests - eg mosquito fish, tilapia etc. As far as I am aware cane toads are not a noxious pest and haven't been categorised as such.

I could be wrong, but, in Queensland I don't think you'd get charged for keeping cane toads - so long you didn't breed them and release them.

Please do correct me if i am wrong - I'd like to know :)

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back