car projects

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my project car...but not much is happening with it at the moment [no time, no shed space, no money]. He's a 1983 Subaru Leone 1800 GLF-5, 2 door, 5 speed manual, grey imported from Japan. Plan is to fix up the body [few rust holes], respray, fix the interior and get a better engine [and more reliable] in it.

Partner tells me I'm crazy, but I love the car and it is so fun to drive particularly though the hills. [yes I am a very untypical girl...I have a project car, love snakes and other creepy crawlies, love cars, build/fix things and generally avoid 'girly things' :lol:]

n527300706_5128593_2007.jpg

me and dad have been working on his 1969 HT Monaro he got it when he was 16 or 17 im pretty sure.
have just been buying parts for her. we have got so far: a 9 inch diff. power steering set up thingo we got the boot acid dipped to get rid of some rust.

it did have a 350 chev in it but that needed a rebuild along time ago so dad took it out and put some other engine in it just so he could drive it i think its a 186 so the 350 chev has sat in the rain for like 10-15 years so we r looking for a new one.

its not a bathurst monaro but some where along tha line dad picked up a bathurst diff for it. it had the bathurst diff in it for a bit but it broke so he got it rebuilt and it broke again. so we got that 9 inch diff for it.

its running with that 186 in it and a 10 bolt diff in it now i think but not road worthy
so we have been working on it fixin her up n ****.

so the plan is put the 9 inch in get a 350 chev wack that in get it resprayed and what not and get her looking mint.

but im looking for a ute to start work on and get fixed up for my first car. im thinking ht-hz one tonner or a f100, f150.f250 and get it lowered right down shave 2-3 inch off the roof n ****

I have a 1970 capri that is a roller now, it has mini tubs, disc braked 9'', 6point cage, complianced for street rego in QLD, caltracks, disc front, enlarged trans tunnel for scatter shield clearance etc etc. getting rid of it to get back into road bikes. It had a 4v 406ci Clevo that made 670hp naturally aspirated, but it never made it into the car.

Kris ,

What sort of dollars are you chasing for the Capri?

Nick

not in every case twentyb.

they are most certainly illegal in qld, modify the wheel arches means you have changed the integrity of the floor pans. I agree that it can be done safely, i have done it myself. In qld they won't approve it, if they did we are still very restricted to how much we can increase rolling diameter and width, in any case a mini tub means you are putting on illegal sized wheels- simply put qld ttransport can't justify approving one modification in order to allow the owner to fit something else which is not approved.
( this is not a quote from qld transport, this is my opinion only from my experience).
i worked in qld transport for a number of years doing written appovals for modifcations outside of what a mod plate covers, no applications for mini tubs were approved when i was there, i couldn't even convince them to approve mine.

I know other states allow it, and the new code of practice when approved may include them.

Last edited:
thats what an engineers report is for.
lots of minitubbed cars in QLD

In nsw yes, in qld you have a mod plate or it is illegal. An engineer can't just write up a report in qld and then your approved. You get a report, send it to the qld transport engineers for a letter of approval, which in this case never gets approved.

Lots of cars are tubbed, lots of defects are handed out when tough cars come through pits too.

I don't think you realise how different the rules are from state to state twentyb. Qld has one the toughest modification guidlines, we don't really get away with much.

just remmber its only illegal if u get caught ;)

Yep, spot on. Regardless of how much i tell people the rules, they are meant to be broken. i was sort of voluntarily pushed out of transport when my boss was out with insectors and i was pulled up one saturday night, needless to say senior members of the department were a bit red faced when they all knew me and wrote me a big list of defects.

This is my project, a 1923 Tee bucket, Ford 460 big block C6 but going slower than had hoped.
Picture wont post DAM

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
keep getting some updated pics of that curly, love rods. One day when time and money permits i'd love to build a rat rod.

yet qld is more relaxed than nsw on engine capacity...
been a few years since i was right in the scene but i always was under the impression qld was more relaxed on most things..

the exact reason why they are still creating a national guideline. I reviewed the draft a few years ago, there has been a lot of input from private engineers and should be some good things to come when its approved.

I've got a Daihatsu Mira 93'
I bought it because it's cheap as chips to run.
I'm half way through my first year in my apprenticeship in spray-painting.
And it's turned into a project because i cant find my engine number!
And it'sthe only thing holdinh me back for getting it on the road!

the exact reason why they are still creating a national guideline. I reviewed the draft a few years ago, there has been a lot of input from private engineers and should be some good things to come when its approved.
i read the proposed DOTARS laws about 2 years ago, looked great, could do alot more to a car legaly, but almost everything had to be engineer aproved, even alot of small mods that at the time didn't need engineers.

don't know if they actually approved the changes though

My dad has a sodablast business. HE strips cars every day. It strips paint without damaging bearings, glass and you can clean up carby's and motors with it. Sometimes i help my uncle with his cars, he has had that many i cant rememba what they where :)

I've got a Daihatsu Mira 93'
I bought it because it's cheap as chips to run.
I'm half way through my first year in my apprenticeship in spray-painting.
And it's turned into a project because i cant find my engine number!
And it'sthe only thing holdinh me back for getting it on the road!
dont know what state your in, but if its nsw you shouldnt have any problem finding out where the engine number is located. rta have a list with where engine numbers are located that anyone doing blue slips has. if not try contacting a daihatsu dealer and asking them where to find it. if all else fails the police can issue a new number after they have completed their checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back