Caramel Bobtail?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boodie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Had this Bobtail come in with the flu early this week. Amazing caramel colour I have never seen before on a wild bobtail. Has anyone else seen colours like this on a bobtail? It's a young fellow, he/she is about 20cm long and I've forgotten his weight.

Most are against white which makes the colours hard to see imo. We found some green cloth to put him against but it was about the darkest thing we could find. He's enjoying dinner at least. He is a wild animal and will be released when his course of care is complete. As much as i would like to keep such a beautiful fellow. The number on his head is an ID number given we have loads of paper work and sometimes 4 or more bobtails in a box.

Attachments

• IMG_2292.jpg
    IMG_2292.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_2288.jpg
    IMG_2288.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_2289.jpg
    IMG_2289.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 173
I'm guessing he's hypomelanistic. And he was in the middle of his treatment off antibiotics and onto us just feeding him up back to normal weights and getting him ready to go back home.

Hope it gets better fast, its feeding so that is a good start.
Looks like a typical south western shingleback to me. Have seen some that colour and pattern.

Looks exactly like the ones that that Ian guy I was tell you about used to post pics of Boodie.

Very nice specimens Indeed!

So it is a naturally occurring colour? I'd never seen one like it before so wasn't sure.

I cannot remember the exact location he was picked up at, but I would guess not the coastal area. We get most of ours from up in the darling escarpment. Also an update on his health, I was in today and he was on his way to a full recovery. No physical signs of URTI but I didn't have a chance to see him out of the box. Should be released in maybe another 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:
@boodie - that'd be the worst thing about what you're doing mate - having to release Awesome specimens like this. Ahh well - it's better they are free to live in the wild than to be kept in an enclosure I guess.

@junglepython2 - LOL nice sig - *looks around for Jay* :)

@SurburbanMe -I always find the worse thing is when they die on you. Especially if they are a beautiful animal and you're sure you're doing everything right and they just don't make it through. I'd much much rather see them go free.

On a disturbing side story I've seen a gravid female come in with wounds from a whipper-snipper. We lost her and the babies. Was not pleasant to say the least.

Last edited:
Between being hit on the roads, attacked by dogs and sliced by lawn mowers, poor old bobtails do have it hard. It is amazing they are as common as they are. Hope the little fella makes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back