Carpondro's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that photo of Solar 17 says it all. Who would not want one if they could afford it, AND it was a problem free snake.
But in saying that why spoil something that is already beautifull in its own right.

& not only that it gives the purist more amo, where will it end & if it happens in America will it happen here.(probably)
Cheers

Well that photo of Solar 17 says it all. Who would not want one if they could afford it, AND it was a problem free snake.
But in saying that why spoil something that is already beautifull in its own right.(because humans are like that, just look at our planet lol)

& not only that it gives the purist more amo,(Purists will bite at everything that is different, Albinos, Jags etc etc) where will it end (I was thinking how awesome would it be to breed a spider morph ball python with a jungle jag)& if it happens in America will it happen here.(probably already happening)
Cheers

;)

The problem with all these things is that it continues to draw increasing bureaucratic attention on the hobby. They say little, but they scan these pages as regularly as we do, and it is a serious mistake to assume that they don't care. WA has 'solved' the problem by refusing to allow pythons into that state, and threads like this simply justify their stance - reasonably or not, they don't want M. imbricata x mongrels in that state, so they take steps to 'ensure' it won't happen. I'll be very surprised if there is any relaxation of the python import restrictions in WA, not because of the supposed disease risk, but because of these other possibilities. Cross breeding species/subspecies is explicitly against the law over there.

We all know that banning something usually makes it all the more desirable, and blanket bans just don't work. The situation with Jags and albino Blackheads are good examples. Both come from overseas, never too long after they are first bred, and this is acknowledged openly on the forums these days, without any concern that those who have them knowingly admit that they have stock which originates from illegally imported animals. There is a big push for mitochondrial DNA work to be done on many species in this country, to (particularly) pin down the provenance of animals held in the collections being examined. NSW NPWS recently had staff in WA (the DNA fanatic state) learning the tricks of the trade...

I'm not making a judgement either way on the pros & cons of these snakes, just suggesting that we, as a hobbyist group, are potentially on the edge of a big crackdown from above. This is more likely than it going the other way... In many ways we are our own worst enemies. At the moment we are like kids in a lollyshop, awestruck at the potential treats on offer. It only takes a smack on the bum and being sent outside for us to see the folly of our ways... and we might just lose far more than we've gained in the the last 10-15 years.

Jamie.

The problem with all these things is that it continues to draw increasing bureaucratic attention on the hobby. They say little, but they scan these pages as regularly as we do, and it is a serious mistake to assume that they don't care. WA has 'solved' the problem by refusing to allow pythons into that state, and threads like this simply justify their stance - reasonably or not, they don't want M. imbricata x mongrels in that state, so they take steps to 'ensure' it won't happen. I'll be very surprised if there is any relaxation of the python import restrictions in WA, not because of the supposed disease risk, but because of these other possibilities. Cross breeding species/subspecies is explicitly against the law over there.

We all know that banning something usually makes it all the more desirable, and blanket bans just don't work. The situation with Jags and albino Blackheads are good examples. Both come from overseas, never too long after they are first bred, and this is acknowledged openly on the forums these days, without any concern that those who have them knowingly admit that they have stock which originates from illegally imported animals. There is a big push for mitochondrial DNA work to be done on many species in this country, to (particularly) pin down the provenance of animals held in the collections being examined. NSW NPWS recently had staff in WA (the DNA fanatic state) learning the tricks of the trade...

I'm not making a judgement either way on the pros & cons of these snakes, just suggesting that we, as a hobbyist group, are potentially on the edge of a big crackdown from above. This is more likely than it going the other way... In many ways we are our own worst enemies. At the moment we are like kids in a lollyshop, awestruck at the potential treats on offer. It only takes a smack on the bum and being sent outside for us to see the folly of our ways... and we might just lose far more than we've gained in the the last 10-15 years.

Jamie.
Very true, they are always watching and these threads will remind the authorities about this...

We won an "eastern carpet python" in a deccw ballot.
But it is clearly not one.
We beleive it is a Diamond x Bredli.

P1100372 - RESIZED.jpg

But as for Carpondos, each to their own. I think ordinary carpets x gtps look pretty ordinary as they get older. But the jag x gtp mix I think keeps looking good from what I've seen when trawling the net.
The one D3pro posted I think is from a jungle jag x carpondo

to start with, NSW doesn't care about where animals have been sourced from, if they did there would not have been amnesties like there have been. And everyone was given plenty of notice they were coming so they could obtain whatever they required before the amnesty, especially WA animals.

I think it's the individuals choice to x-breed, if your not happy with our perfectly beautiful native animals then you'll need to fill that void somehow. Funny how the pure animals have very little problems, while the designer animals are getting issues. Dur.

Jamie.

The painful thing about this imo is that parks laws are out dated by at least 10 years. I've seen this hobby grow so much in the past 15 years and it pains me the parks don't relies that these animals are now being bred for the pet trade. I believe that both parties would gain a lot more by working together, parks supporting the fact that these animals are being bred for the pet trade and removing the ban on selling all reptiles through pet shops Aust. wide, removing the ban on being able to export our commercially bred reptiles throughout the world, parks charging more for commercial licence’s and lets not forget the gst. that the government would make out of this to put back into parks so they would have the funding to concentrate on some of the more important things like illegal logging and poaching ect. I for one do not see a problem in paying parks $1000 or more a year for a licence that would entitle me to do these things.
Just my thoughts for what it's worth.

It depends on which side of the fence you sit. I have nothing against morphing and hybridising, although for the life of me I can't see any advancement or logical purpose in the latter, other than $$$.
If you are keeping pure locality lines, the time will come when you will need some "fresh blood" (from the wild) to enrich the genetic pool of your stock. At the moment it's impossible to obtain permit for such purpose and it will remain impossible while we keep on morphing and hybridising. So, I guess it depends on where your interest is.

I think mixed sub species crosses are ok ,
as in carpet pythons and antaresia group "except perthensis"
But GTP crosses i would not be involved in.
Just a personal choice etc
Some of the 75% GTP to carpet hybrids are spectacular .
But each to their own.

It depends on which side of the fence you sit. I have nothing against morphing and hybridising, although for the life of me I can't see any advancement or logical purpose in the latter, other than $$$.
If you are keeping pure locality lines, the time will come when you will need some "fresh blood" (from the wild) to enrich the genetic pool of your stock. At the moment it's impossible to obtain permit for such purpose and it will remain impossible while we keep on morphing and hybridising. So, I guess it depends on where your interest is.

And thats where poaching will come in. . .

I honestly dont know WHY you would with these magnificent pythons..They are truely a amazing snake and mixing them (with anything) etc would only deface these pythons..Its bad enough with Diamonds-Bredlis etc and so on..BUT to do it with Chondros,i really dont understand,maybe it all comes down to peoples pockets..My 2cents..

I would rather see true Albino GTP/Cannery Albinos than X chondros, IMO.

Do you guys think that these hybrids will fetch a higher price than a pure GTP then??

With these carpondros, do they act like a GTP or a jungle/ whatever has been mixed in or abit of the two.

ballroom5.jpg
off topic but wanted to add another good looking cross ball x woma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back