Ceramic heat emitters and overall setup for a young GTP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chondrobsessed

Reaction score
Could I have a 60w ceramic heat emitter729004 EXO TERRA CERAMIC HEAT EMITTER 60W.jpg in a standard ceramic light fitting ceramicsocket.php.png covered by a heat lamp wire cover timthumb.php.pnginside an 30*30*45cm inclosure 724012 EXOTERRA GLASS TERRARIUM 12 X 12 X 18.jpg?
Pretty much want to know that the lamp wire cover isn't going to melt or get too hot if a young python where to touch the cage?
I'm thinking of the exo terra enclosure with the canopy 729005 EXO TERRA COMPACT FLUORO LIGHT 30CM.jpgfor light (729017 EXO TERRA REPTI GLO 5.0 FLUOR 13W TROP.jpg?) and then a ceramic for heat. Planning purchases for my hopefully new GTP in a few months.
So I'm thinking heat mats wouldn't be so appropriate as this python is arboreal, any other suggestions for heat? I'm going to black out the sides of the enclosure and obviously use a thermostat. and probably cover the half of the mesh wire at the top depending on the humidity values I can get.
Thanks all!

lol are you a publisher? thats a very well set out post..

I dont have a gtp.. Yet but that all sounds ok.. all my other pythons all being different species all start out in click clacks because theyu feel more secure and when the are yearlings they get a viv... saves you having to buy multiple vivs.. just one well thought out and put together... but again im not sure on the gtps as i dont keep em. :D

Haha, no just visually orientated! I will probably will go with click clacks in the future if I get more, I just have been so obsessed (meant to have that in my user name execpt missed an "s" so now I just look like an idiot!) with GTP for so long I would love to have him/her somewhere beautiful and the size shouldn't be too big I think.
Thanks for your reply though!

Last edited:
Haha, no just visually orientated! I will probably will go with click clacks in the future if I get more, I just have been so obsessed (meant to have that in my user name execpt missed an "s" so now I just look like an idiot!) with GTP for so long I would love to have him/her somewhere beautiful and the size shouldn't be too big I think.
Thanks for your reply though!
you can change your user name....

I use a CHE in an exoterra dome sitting on top of the mesh top with a 60x45x45 exoterra enclosure, set on a pulse thermo. Works just fine for my yearling jungle

So its ok to use those domes with ceramics, awesome, I'll probably do that. I had already changed my user name from JungleZ, and can't change for another half year...I need to proof read these things :(

60w in a viv that size seems like a bit of overkill to me.I would use a smaller wattage che.

So its ok to use those domes with ceramics, awesome, I'll probably do that. I had already changed my user name from JungleZ, and can't change for another half year...I need to proof read these things :(
and they cant wave it just this once , its not like your changing it all together , just adding a letter so it doesnt look odd , i thought it was chondro bessed and couldnt work it out :)

as for the domes i use them on my coastals and one of my woma tanks but they let alot of the heat escape imo , i have 100 watt ones and it struggles in the coastals tank , ive since made a new tank with a 60watt ceramic inside the enclosure protected by a light cage and it pumps compared to the 100watt but in your case the dome will be easier and just as effective if not more with it being a mesh top

I think exo terra have a 40w as well just trying to find where I could get it. I have read a couple reviews discouraging the use of CHE with domes, any thoughts?
Thanks

what was the reason for discouraging it ? the use of CHE with domes that is

I'm not sure, I watched a review of the domes and the guy said works with incandescent and halogens not, and not to use with ceramic. To only use these wirery dome things wire_light.jpg.
Does any one use the regular type 730013 URS LAMP N CLAMP.jpgwith ceramics and find them ok? what wattage and dome size?

Attachments

• light_dome.jpg
    light_dome.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 97
Viv size seems to be fine for a baby chondro
But way too small for an adult
So dont get too carried away as you will need to change it

So the manual for the exo terra light dome states
"Ideal for use with all types of Exo Terra
incandescent and compact fluorescent lamps,
(PT2055: max. 75 W / PT2057: max.150 W),
Not suitable for use with Exo Terra Solar Glo
and Ceramic Heat Emitter."

loungelizard , do you put them in the enclosure or on top with a dome?

only thing i can think of with the metal dome and CHE is that i wouldn't use them if there going inside an enclosure , the dome gets way to hot if you did it would need a cage around the entire dome which would take up a bit of room but there fine on top of a enclosure with a mesh top like the exoterra you've pictured

I have them in the enclosures , but i have no enclosures as small as your stating.

Ok thanks loungelizard I think I'll try it out in a dome over the mesh and see how it goes, I have quite a while before anyone will be living in there :)

Ok thanks loungelizard I think I'll try it out in a dome over the mesh and see how it goes, I have quite a while before anyone will be living in there :)

- - - Updated - - -

okie doke I think it was just the exo terra that didn't want CHE installed, zoo med seems happy enough http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u256JS2Gc1E&feature=plcp

Last edited:
Hey

Could I have a 60w ceramic heat emitterView attachment 263724 in a standard ceramic light fitting View attachment 263725 covered by a heat lamp wire cover View attachment 263723inside an 30*30*45cm inclosure View attachment 263726?
Pretty much want to know that the lamp wire cover isn't going to melt or get too hot if a young python where to touch the cage?
I'm thinking of the exo terra enclosure with the canopy View attachment 263727for light (View attachment 263728?) and then a ceramic for heat. Planning purchases for my hopefully new GTP in a few months.
So I'm thinking heat mats wouldn't be so appropriate as this python is arboreal, any other suggestions for heat? I'm going to black out the sides of the enclosure and obviously use a thermostat. and probably cover the half of the mesh wire at the top depending on the humidity values I can get.
Thanks all!
I've noticed that u have a 5.0 uv bulb they aren't for chondros I use a 2.0 it is for chondros cheers Kayne

Thanks Kayne, that was something I wasn't sure about hence the question mark but I forgot to actually ask the question lol.
So basically no python needs UVb? just regular old light is fine? What kind of reptiles would need it?

Wouldn't use a 100w CHE in a dome unless there was lots of room for the heat to dissipate. Put a 60w in a 100w downlight fitting that had a ceramic holder once and it scorched all the paint and baked all the plastic cover until it was brittle and started falling off. It's amazing how much heat these things generate per watt compared to a light globe. I don't keep gtp's but I would go with a fitting recommended for CHE and a cage. Of course this is only my opinion. Hope this was of help and good luck with your new acquisition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back